Staining Oak to Cherry Question

Hi,
I want to stain a entertainment cabinet made of light oak and oak veneer to look more like cherry.
I just tried a test run with Minwax Cherry 235 stain but I found that the wood didn't absorb much of the stain after 15 mins.
The oak has a natural finish on it now. I've only used furniture oil on it. I also tried rubbing the wood with paint thinner first, but i got the same results.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might improve my results? Different stain? Different approach?
Regards, Joe
Hi Joe, You say it has furniture oil on it? Furniture oil is a generic name for a whole lot of mixtures some of which could have been adsorbed deeply into the raw wood therefore just rubbing the surface with solvent will not remove all the oil. If it were me (I would try this in an inconspicuous spot) I would wipe it down with solvent and then apply a coat of dewaxed shellac such as Seal Coat. I would then spray this with a toner mixture ( stain and top coat) and finish with clear top coat. Good luck, JG
Joe Blow wrote:

Hi JG,
Thanks for the reply.
The oil I was using was Formsby's lemon oil.
I will give your suggestion a try in a test spot.
Appreciated!
Regards, Joe

Joe Blow wrote:

Paint it red.

The short answer is, that it doesn't matter *what* he does, oak ain't gonna look like cherry. Period.

Paint it red sounds like the best suggestion.
I think I'll live with it in oak until I make one in cherry.
Thanks to all who responded.
Regards, Joe
You might try a "redwood" deck stain. That has a lot more red pigment than cherry stain.
I was wondering about the Min-Wax Red Mahogany
On 01 Dec 2003 16:49:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

<...snipped...>
I guess it's posible to make it look "more like" cherry, but oak is not going to look like cherry no matter what kind of stain you put on it.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland