Stain for the "Rustic Pine" look?

I'm building a shed with pine siding, what should I look for in a long lasting durable stain or combination stain/sealer? The shed will be exposed to direct sun up to 100F and snow/ice to -30F.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

You'll need a varnish and even that will only last a few years at most in direct sunlight or snow piled against it.

Look for Spar Varnish, that's about the toughest out there.

For a color on Pine, I like Minwax Early American.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

classic folk recipe:

1 gallon of paint thinner 1 gallon of spar varnish 1 gallon of linseed oil roofing tar (cold process) to color (about 1 cup)
Reply to
bridger

Don't know if it'll give you the look you want but I'm sold on the Penofin products. I've used them on a mountain cabin with great results and a few items of furniture around the yard. They do come in different colors so you may just find something that works color wise as well. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

For exterior applications you should acknowledge that a long lasting stain/sealer will last you about 2-3 years before needing to reapply.

Reply to
Leon

Good point. Dunno.

Reply to