SOT: Interesting Woodcraft experience (a little long)

Well I finally decided to see what all the hoopla was about and I drove the 2 hours to the nearest Woodcraft store the other day. Having never been to one I found it interesting seeing all the gadgets and things that I look at in print all the time. Anyway, there is this customer inquiring about the Keller 1500 jig and the salesman is throwing a pitch to him and it went something like this: Customer: "Is this a good product?" Salesman: "Oh yes, the very best for TD!" Customer: "So can just anyone use it?" Salesman: "Yes as long as you don't mind!" *pun* Customer: "Do you think it would be an improvement to my shop?" Salesman: "Oh yeah. Why with this thing you could easily add 10-20% profits just for the fact that you can now offer TD." Customer: "Wow! Really? I never thought of that. (this is where I almost busted out laughing) So this thing not only adds quality but profits to my shop. Oh boy, I have got to buy this!" Salesman: (actually winking at me and another customer says) "I think it would be a good move for you!" Customer: (nudging the salesman's arm says) "Thanks so much for filling me in on the profit increase factor, I never would have thought that. Say. Do you have any other tools or equipment that could do the same thing for my shop?" The salesman then winked at us again and led the guy over to the woodworking book section!
Can you believe this? LOL I thought I would piss my pants. They say one is born every minute, I'm a believer!! I should have told that customer about my West Virginia Oceanfront property I have for sale!
Jim
-- ....
So uh ,, what is a TD...
"Leon" wrote in message

Through Dovetails?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

"Leon" wrote in message

Like, I done been through with them dovetails, anyhow, you know.

?? Hell no! ... never heard of it!
Oh oh ... probably something I don't need to know, but tell me anyway.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

machinery
I know nothing of it except the name, Ameritec Machinery, 499 W 38th st. I was wondering if it would be worth a trip to check em out. Just wondering if you had been there.
"Leon"wrote in message

No ... but I will check it out ASAP. Thanks for the heads-up... I think! :)
I've been toying with the idea of actively looking for, and investing in, some older iron lately
I saw the picture of Bridger's PowerMatic 65 on abpw yesterday and could still kick myself for not buying the one a friend had for sale about 20 years ago. I think he wanted $400 for it and I thought it was too much at the time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Yeah me too.. I have to go to Hardwood Lumber tomorrow and this place is sorta close.. ;~)
Who cares what it does, if Woodcraft says you need it then you should buy one. hehe.
(I'm guessing - Thru Dovetails?)
Rich

Sorry, I assumed everyone knew what the Keller jig does/is. My bad! TD=Through Dovetails.
Jim

And here I thought you were laughing at the salesman getting the acronym wrong: TD vs. DT for dove-tail. Heck, with that name, I coulda swored it did blind dovies.
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:53:13 GMT, "James D. Kountz" <jkountz@(remove this)citlink.net> brought forth from the murky depths:>Sorry, I assumed everyone knew what the Keller jig does/is. My bad!

=========================================================CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:37:18 GMT, "James D. Kountz" <jkountz@(remove this)citlink.net> wrote:>Well I finally decided to see what all the hoopla was about and I drove the

It could be mutual leg pulling from that description. I remember a very different scene ca 1975 in the Woburn, MA store, the only one at the time.
A woman came in who had just been taken by the idea of wood turning. She looked at the lathes on display, and gravitated to the big Powermatic, about $2000 (twice the price of a Unisaw).
The salesman strongly suggested she try something around $400 for a while to see if she really liked it, and went on to explain a lot of things, including ballast. If she found she really enjoys turning then come back and trade in for the big one.
My respect for him rose a lot.
Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."
"James D. Kountz" wrote:
<snip>

It would seem to me that the salesman knew the customer was looking for an excuse to buy a new "necessity" and was accommodating. I would says it's kind of like the sign over the register at our local Rockler that reads "Your wife just called and said you can buy anything you want."
Nah, you just had to be there I guess. There was no joking or behind the scene puns from the customer at all. I saw him come in and go to the Keller Jig right away. It was a minute or so later that the salesman (who by the way came from the back room) started to help the guy. The look on his face was like a kid at Christmas!
Jim

kind
wife