somewhat OT question re: hammer drill

Yesterday I bought my first hammer drill, I have never used one before, I tried it in both settings (hammer/drill and drill only) no drill bit installed, I did not notice any difference in the behavior of the tool. So the question is, when it is set to hammer, should I be able to see any hammering action, or is the movement so minute that can not be visible noticed?
Guillermo
The hammering action is created when applying pressure to the drill chuck. With no load there is not any movement. However, when you chuck up a bit and press it against a solid surface in hammer mode, it will hammer as it spins. It should be VERY hard to miss.
HTH baldwima
This is normal. The hammering doesn't occur until there is pressure on the drill chuck while it is roatating. It will be very hard to miss.
Matt
This is normal. The hammering doesn't occur until there is pressure on
the drill chuck while it is roatating. It will be very hard to miss.
Matt

No. It's a cam action, you won't detect anything unless there's some end-force on the bit. Try drilling some brick - you'll hear the difference.