Something Seen on Norm's Show

Norm was making a table with inlays in the top. He used some stuff to keep the stain he was applying from bleeding into the inlays.
What was the stuff?

shellac.
D'ohBoy

Shellac blonde to be exact. I think he said that it was a 1/2lb. cut, but I'd have to check that part. bc

My question is, why not stain first and then inlay? I know you HAVE to stain it because after all, it's Norm. The only other option is paint. But why not stain it first and then do the inlay so you don't have to worry about bleeding? Is it because the router sliding over the stained wood might scratch it?
Because if you stain first you can't sand the inlay flat after you install it without marring the stain. That is unless you're alot better at inlay than I am ;) bc

blue painters masking tape
What was the stuff?
-
Most likley the stain is a NGR type and has a solvent base that turns the tape adhesive into a sticky mess. Not only will the stain penetrate the tape but the residue will interfere with the finish coats....mjh

IIRC there was no tape after he finish sanded and prepped for the stain. He put the inlay in tape side up, removed the tape after the glue dried, then smoothed the surface before applying the shellac.