software

Page 2 of 2

It's pretty sad when that piece of free software actually works better than the professional version that does the same thing. It's especially true for software that has to watch carefully for lawyers such as video editing.
Puckdropper

<snip>

Joe,
As mentioned, your IP has nothing to do with any of this. There are other methods to ID your system. But none of them have anything to do with your example. All they do is have an algorithm whereby they compare a key number to the system date and refuse to install if older then xx/xx/xxxx. Chances are if you changed the date on the system (in the BIOS) you might have been able to install it again, then change it back.
In any event, companies that do this suck.
-jtpr.
Hey, if I move and plug my table saw into a new house, think it will work? Hmmmmm....

Thanks for the info-

Agreed!
*snip*

Not this house. If you turn it on when the air conditioner comes on, you'll probably kill the main breaker!
Puckdropper

At least you're not afraid of technical geeky words... Even if you don't understand that IP addresses change all the time. I may get a new IP address while writing this post--if my modem disconnects and has to reconnect.
Most software licensing allows you to install one copy of the software on your computer for your own use. If you uninstall the software from the computer and install it on another, you are in most cases well within your rights.
Puckdropper

Well, I stated that I don't know much of these things. What I posted is what seemed to be happening. So, I learn something. And, I learned that IP add's will change. I was certainly under the impression thatwith high Speed the IP add stayed the same and only with DiaUp did a new number get assigned eac session.
Anyway, it seems like the SW giants are doing something to know when and on what machine we install their SW. Symantec and MS lead this from what I can see.
Thanks for your info.

With broadband, they *might* stay the same. It's not guaranteed (unless you pay the extra money for a static IP) and can happen at what seems like quite random times. Network cards have a MAC (Media Access Control--not Macintosh) address that is set in hardware and doesn't change.

Microsoft Windows reads and stores certain IDs that should never change during the operation of your computer. If enough of them change, the program thinks it might be in a different computer and requests reactivation. The above mentioned MAC address is one of the items it looks at.
I imagine Symantec may be copying the idea to an extent.

Puckdropper

four years and that was because of a major hardware upgrade at the ISP.

Which is why I will not run MS software. I run OS/2 and Linux and if I can't get free (in terms of licence, not cost) software to do what I want then I either write my own or go without.
Joe Bemier wrote:

First, with most ISPs, you pay a premium for a "static" IP address.
Next, MS tells you what they do in order to tell on what machine you have installed their software. <http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/1/6/21654b16-6c81-4d96-9390-5203cd43d07d/WindowsProductActivationTechnicalMarketBulletin.doc
Basically product activation sends them a long number and they send back a long number and you're done. If you want to be paranoid you can write down the number that would be sent, call them from a pay phone, write down the number they give you, and type it into the machine and it will activate with no internet connection at all. You won't even talk to a human unless you've activated the same copy several times in a row.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks, John. It appears I've had the same IP add for some time. But maybe not. I've renovated an old farmhouse and one of the features I wanted was to have Broadband in every room. So, the second floor has an area where there are a bunch of routers, etc.
We have three machines in the house and the ip adds are identical except for the last 3 digits....mine is xx1-- my wifes is xx2 and the spare machine is xx3. But maybe these are not real IP add's - maybe just something from the router. I see it by entering ipconfig in DOS and get back a bunch of info.

With a setup like that, your router is getting a "real-world" IP address from the ISP and assigning each computer its own IP address. In fact, if you go to http://www.myipaddress.com , it will tell you your "real-world" IP address.
Some firewalls work the same way.
Puckdropper

Hey, Thanks - helpful. As to Firewall...I have Zone Alarm and maybe that also plays into the mix.

There is significant debate over this; certainly software companies would like to take the most restrictive approach; but there is some substantial opinion that this violates right of first sale ownership as covered in uniform commercial code. Take a look at various discussions on www.gripe2ed.com, this is an Infoworld editor who covers various concerns with software vendors. It appears that no one has yet tried this through the various court systems, or that there is considerable difference in opinions rendered by lower courts.
Joe Bemier wrote:

Not many machines have static IPs.
--

dadiOH
Joe Bemier wrote:

The license might state all kinds of things, but the law says "right of first sale" applies, and reselling it after purchase is Fair Use.
er (been busy.. :)
--
email not valid

If you can get the invoice, manual or license agreement you should be able to get the key from the manufacturer. If you can get two of these three items most of time a software company will provide you with a key. Some companies are little more strict than others.