Sliding compound miter saws

Page 2 of 2

Yup. Some of the reviews I read mentioned that problem. Particularly the DeWalt. Still thinking Bosch.
Max

I have the 12" Dewalt slider and don't have any problems with wandering on any cuts. When I switched to a slider from the Dewalt 12" chopsaw I was concerned, and even kept the old saw setup, but never had any problems.
Good luck with your purchase.

Thank you, Sir. There's no such thing as too much advice. Just sort it out. <G>
Max

I've noticed that the slider (often) consists of two bars. I've seen them side-by-side on some models, and one-atop-the-other on other models. I'd expect the side-by-side design to have a lot less sideways play. Does anyone have experience with both types to confirm this?
Mark

I was wondering the same thing. Glad you asked.
Max

Dewalt makes a 12" blade model that cuts 16" with some alterations to raise the table to take full advantage of the blade diameter.
I have a 10" Makita, love the saw but it is heavy and it has a large footprint, though not as heavy as other brands. If it will only sit on a bench in your shop this is not important.
I have used an 8 1/2" Dewalt and would actually love to have a smaller saw like it, I am short, 5' 7" and find reaching around the Makita to tilt the blade a bit awkward, I have also used a 12" Makita and it is even more so. This has to do with the design of the bench it is sitting on in the shop, at a site on a workmate it is easier to step around it.
Most dimensional lumber falls within the 12" cutting capacity anything wider is usually a panel and I would cut that on the table saw with a sled. Frank C.
--
http:sawdustmaking.com

I rarely do crosscuts on the table saw. I have my radial arm saw "tuned" for accurate crosscuts. If I need more crosscut capacity I use a circular saw with a guide made especially for the job. I want a good sliding compound miter saw to replace the radial arm saw and for some miters. I have a miter sled for my table saw that allows me to do accurate miters but I would rather have a saw dedicated to the job, ie a SCMS. Having a little extra capacity for 90 degree cuts would be a plus. I've been looking at the Bosch 5412L.
Max