Sketchup, arrrgggg

Page 2 of 3
On 4/23/2013 9:22 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I don't think so. In that case I might have made life easier for myself by selecting two legs and the horizontal piece between them and moving them before I stretched the other apron pieces to meet the moved assembly.

Yes, that it does.
On 4/23/2013 8:22 AM, dadiOH wrote:

If this makes you feel any better, I very seldom any more use the scale tool. Most of what it can do can be done easier in another way. Don't get me wrong, I used to use the scale tool to create mirror images, now I use the flip along tool to create mirror images. with the flip along tool you only have to remember 3 things. ;~)

The line will deviate a little most often because you may be trying to attach it to a location that is close to another snap point, for example the end of another line or middle of a line. I find it helpful to zoom in to that point, so that the offending snap points which try to pull your line towards them, do not have so much influence. Another way is to extend your line well past that that point and end the line in the middle of nowhere so to speak. Then select the part of the line that you extended too far and it should highlight as another separate line, then Delete that section. Or if the line needs to be a certain length simply start the line in the correct direction, using the arrow keys to force it in the correct direction if necessary, and type in your length and hit return
Or a

If you get lost because you zoomed in too much, simply click on the "Previous Icon" this will restore you to the previous view. This icon looks like a magnifying glass with a blue arrow indicating a counter clockwise rotation. Think of it as going back in time.
Leon wrote:

I don't know that it makes me feel better, does give me hope though :)
As far as "flip along", I haven't yet tried that, will soon. Been flipped off on occasion though. _____________
Then select the part of the line that you extended too far and it should

Yeah, been doing that, a real help, thanks. _______________

Very useful info. I'm going to be <sob> 80 in a few weeks, got something that will actually hurl me into the past? WAIT!!...not sure I want to go there.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/23/2013 1:13 PM, dadiOH wrote:

LOL

Oh you need to jump all over that. LOL Simply right click a component and choose flip along. Then choose Red, Green, or Blue axis and you will get a mirror image based on the axis you choose. Choosing the correct axis takes a little getting used to but once you get it, it is like riding a bike. Just remember if you choose the wrong one and don't get the result you wanted type Ctrl Z to undo and try another.

80 WOW! You are TOUGH! It was easy being young. ;~)
dadiOH wrote:

Thanks, people...components seems to be the answer.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/23/2013 8:22 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Sketchup should be renamed, Sketching with Components. ;~)
Think of they way you build things in the shop, draw the same way.

Does that mean, build something in an exploded view and then assemble it to have a finished project on paper?
I have to admit, I haven't started using Sketchup yet. Not because I'm afraid of it, (maybe a litte) just that I'm comfortable with the program I currently use.
I know I could learn Sketchup, just that I realize it would take some time and I'm not yet willing to allocated the time I fear it would take.
Unfortunately, I'm big on procrastination. Same story as everything else in my life. :)
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

As I undertand it, if you use components to draw something that something can then be exploded.

It's not *that* much of a learning curve. If you watch the first four introductory videos - less than an hour total IIRC - I'd think you'd be pretty much good to go since you are already familiar with CAD.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/24/2013 6:11 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Yes, but in Sketchup speak exploded means to make a component or group into many more desperate pieces. You can move components with out changing other components in the drawing.

Exactly, watch the many tutorials available but the first basic ones will get you hooked. ;~)
Leon wrote:

I'm hooked. And I'm thinking there should be a usenet Sketchup group (there does not appear to be one).
I know there are many sites and videos devoted to specific and general "how do I..." but they lack the give and take of a usenet group; additionally, they are spread all over everywhere. So why don't you start one?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

SU being so "visual", what you suggest is almost a contradiction. See sketchucation.com (Community tab, then select forums). Their goals appear of a grander scale than ours--but that IS the forum which you suggest should exist.
Bill

Cuz the powers that be make it almost impossible to create one. It is a long, arduous, very political process. I went through it a few years back. Never again. And nobody showed up when it finally got approved.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:45:48 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A.

How about something like alt.binaries.pictures.sketchup? We could lobby the powers that be to create it. And, if that's not in the cards, then I'd be fine with a.b.pictures.woodworking doing double duty for sketchup. It's not as if it's an overly used newgroup.

You can do that however you need to really be good at visualizing what the end product is going to be. The method I and probably most people use is to start drawing a piece/component and when it is basically the correct size convert it into a component "before" starting your next part. Draw the next part in the location that it will fit. If you do not make the first part into a component the parts for the next part will "stick to it" This becomes a problem should you decide to move a group of lines.

Valid point! I have been using CAD programs since 1986. I had ultimately started using AutoCAD LT about 15 years ago and could not imagine using anything less. Then I tried Sketchup about 8 years ago, hated it and removed it from my computer. Tried again about a year later with the same results. Tried it again about 4~5 years ago and have been using it ever since. I cant tell you the last time I have opened AutoCAD.

Understood but I believe that the program is a real time saver when it comes to designing and drawing compared to what I had been using. I did keep AutoCAD available while learning Sketchup but the basics were so simple compared to AutoCAD that I was drawn more towards Sketchup.

It is FREE, Just do it! ;~)
Leon wrote:

I know nothing of other CAD programs but IMO anyone in the construction/design/remodeling field is losing money if they don't use it. I'm not involved in those occupations but the ability to have sets of models that can be easily modified to fit specific circumstances seems invaluable.
For example, a cabinet maker could have assorted parts which can be duplicated and/or sized as needed ...
1. a basic box
2. various interior parts - shelves, drawers, pullouts, whatever
3. frame and panel doors with various edge treatments
And with a few clicks any could have any type of surface/texture. Want to see what the doors would look like with walnut frames and cherry panels? Easy. Switch the counter tops to granite? Here's what it looks like. Insert a wood chopping block? OK. (materials/textures are downloadable from the net...a nice one of woods is at http://www.sawdustroad.com/sketchup
It's a moneymaker.
It is an amazing program "as is". Run through rendering software it is nothing short of incredible! Go to Google, type in "sketchup renderings", click images and be astounded.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/24/2013 9:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:

It has been such a contender in the design market that even AutoDesk is playing the "me too" catch up game with a similar product.

Swingman has the pro version and IIRC you can take a "dynamic" component, say a kitchen cabinet with a drawer, copy it and make it wider and only the elements that need to be wider will widen.

Yes it is. I probably don't spend a quarter of the time designing to to the point of presentation to a customer. Add to that all of the details are there too so I do not have to think about that in the shop. Components do not have to be dimensioned to import them into an optimization program for cutting. The program knows the size of the components whether you do or not. I dimension very little and most often only for reference.

Here' a collection of dynamic and non-dynamic kitchen cabinet components that I designed over the past six years that have been useful in designing and building shop built cabinets to fit in a required space. All these pieces were actually built and installed in various kitchens using the models shown in this collection, for both client approval and shop drawings.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid d50f7b9ee7ac65b2c2cd006d206129&prevstart=0
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Swingman wrote:

You've been busy :)
The utility (shop) value is obvious but just out of curiosity, do you also find it a useful selling tool? I would think that the ability to show a customer pretty much how the stuff will look would really help close a deal.
--

dadiOH
On 4/24/2013 4:33 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Absolutely in fact there is a app, $5, for the iPad that lets you display a Sketchup drawing in 3d, rotate, and zoom. Beats taking the computer with you to present to the customer.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:25:37 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A.

I'm not using cad software. I've been using Flash for a number of years. I suppose that many consider Flash only a step up from a simple paint program, but it's been fine for me. Doesn't come close to any cad software, but it has done what I needed it to do.