Sketchup and Windows 8

Can't find a Sketchup download for Windows 8, except for Softonic and they insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?
Larry
Gramp's shop wrote:

Did you try this one?
http://www.sketchup.com/
Bill ...
The Trimble site says the free version supports windows 7/Vista/XP. I'd like to either get a Windows 8 version or hear from someone using the 7/Vista/XP version on a Win8 machine.
Larry
On Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:40:05 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

Gramp's shop wrote:

to either get a Windows 8 version or hear from someone using the 7/Vista/XP version on a Win8 machine.

I would just try it and see what happens. If you have the "professional" version of Windows 8, you will probably even be able to run it in "compatibility" mode (at least that was a version on Win7 Pro). Good luck!
Bill

to either get a Windows 8 version or hear from someone using the 7/Vista/XP version on a Win8 machine.

Not sure about Win 8 - I think you need an XP licence and VirtualBox
On 4/28/2013 6:17 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

I have tried the SketchUp download on Windows 8 and I have not seen any problems. I just got the Win8 machine a few days ago so I do not have a lot of time on it yet but everything seems fine.
I also saw a report from Swingman on this newsgroup that it runs for him on Win8. (That was a factor in my decision to go ahead and get a Win8 machine.)
Dan
Thanks, Dan. Are you running Sketchup Pro or the free version?

It should make no difference.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 4/28/2013 8:45 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

I am running the free version. I think that swingman runs the pro version.
Dan
Thanks, guys. Just downloaded and it appears to be OK. Don't understand why Trimble doesn't designate its compatibility with Win8. Same for Picasa.
On Monday, April 29, 2013 1:54:02 AM UTC-5, Dan Coby wrote:

On 4/29/2013 9:21 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Most of the time there simply has not been enough testing to announce without a doubt that the program will play nicely on a newer OS. That never means that there will problems just that they will not have a fix or explanation should you run in to an isolated problem. And it could mean that the program will not run on Win 8 exactly as MS would expect it to run, again not that that would necessarily matter.

Aye ... SU runs fine on Win 8 on my 6 year old Dell XPS 1210 field laptop, despite the fact that I'm using MSFT's default drivers for the video/graphics system (the laptop was upgraded to Win8 from Vista).
AAMOF, been on an out of town job for the past three weeks and have been using nothing but this old laptop/Win8 to run SU during that entire time ... including the SpaceNavigator.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)