Sign of the times

Page 3 of 3

Back when the 50 was new we could get a day's work out of it in 36 hours. Wasn't until I got to use the 65 that I could get a day' work in a day.
Later, in the 70 and 90 series, I could get 3 days work in 4 hours. Thank "whomever" for we had a total SNAFU (almost a FUBAR) that took us most of a week to recover. Took me 2 days to figure out how much had been screwed up (by whom) another day to convince the headshed what needed doing to recover and a 4th day implementing the requisite changes. Started at 6:00 one evening and by sunup I had managed to recover the whole week's throughput.

PDQ wrote:

Reminds me of a Monty Python skit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Drew Lawson wrote:

Where was this? Debate? Persuasive writing? Never had any of that kind of stuff.

So where is it taught alongside Arabic in the public schools? And if French is so widely taught in the US public schools howcum the only school I ever attended in four states that offered it was a Catholic school?

Well, yes, they did, and I have seen no reason to believe that they were atypical.

Where was this?

Perhaps Rhode Island is doing a good job.

One presumes that that has changed since I was in school--at the time "computer" was something that cost millions of dollars and would have filled the gym handily.
--John

Let's see: San Leandro, California Coronado, California Lemoore, California Newport, Rhode Island Springfield, Virginia Elementary in all, Jr High and High School in the last.
Based on slightly removed observations, the selections are still similar here in Beavercreek, Ohio (Dayton area). Recent (2-3 years) feedback from Sterling, Virginia says the same.
Of course, I started school in the heat of the space race when building the US school system to beat the Russians was a priority. If I were a decade older, thinks might not have been funded so well. (In TV terms, I'm the Brady Bunch generation. I get mixed stories from the Father Knows Best era.)

I'm thinking that you got taught a thing or three that worked into whatever your career was, but I don't expect you to agree.
--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have
| 18 half-lives
Drew Lawson wrote:

Not really. Most of what I learned from 6-18 that was engineering related I learned on my own, which got me in trouble because on tests I would put down the right answer instead of the regurgitate the lecture answer.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Troll.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

They teach trolling in the public schools now?
That explains much.
Seriously, I fully understand kids going postal.
--John
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Not a bad idea actually. When I was in high school, it was half a year of "Single Survival" (the course on basic home economics for guys, but even then they could no longer call it "Bachelor Survival") and the other half was Driver's Ed.

In jr. high, we had two semesters of shop/home ec. The first semester, they put the guys in shop and the girls in home ec. The second semester, it was each student's choice.
Near the end of the first semester, when it was time to sign up for the next, I walked down the hall and peered into the classrooms of each. One classroom was filled with cute girls..... the other wasn't. I showed that disparity to a couple friends, and we all three singed up for home ec for the next semester. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I had shop classes all through middle school and the power tools scared the hell out of me. It wasn't until after college that I really got going with woodworking. It had more to do with having access to Dad's tools than anything I got in school. So you never know.
-Kevin
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:10:49 -0600, Mike O. wrote:

I took metal shop, woodworking shop, and print shop. Even today, I retain some of the ability to read mirror images :-).
In WW, I was all thumbs. Thank goodness I haven't retained that :-).
And all I can remember about metal shop was heating the (non-electric) soldering irons in a little oven.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

There was a girl in school who could write cursive in mirror image, almost as quickly as one could write normally. She would sign all the yearbooks like that. It was funny to see people in the bathroom, holding their yearbooks up to the mirror in order to read them.
--

-MIKE-