Shortening doors

Hi all
I'm laying some new flooring for my apartment, and I need to shorten some of the internal doors. I need to remove about 1cm from the bottom of the doors.
I have used a metal detector, and have found staple-shaped metal running up each side of the doors, presumably to help hold the door together.
Can anyone suggest how I might make the required cut? I have a selection of saws (including a circular saw) and a plane. How do I cope with the metal staples? I'm a bit terrified to just let the circular saw rip.
Your suggestions are very gratefully received!
Chris
Get a cheap carbide tipped blade on the circular saw and have at it. Slowly. Tom Chris wrote:>Hi all

Someday, it'll all be over....
I just did some with metal bottoms. I used a circular saw. Make sure to wear safety glasses with the metal present.

I guess maybe a belt sander would work although slowly.
On 11 Jan 2004 12:13:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@microserf.org.uk (C Rose) wrote:

Be sure to put making tape all around the door inline with the cut. Also cut the veneer with a sharp knife along the cut line before sawing. This will minimize tearout. (I found out the hard way how important these steps are) -Jon