Shop wall & ceiling material ?

Can not decide what material or thickness to use on shop walls & ceiling.
Possibilities I have thought of:
Walls - 5/8" or 3/4" MDF or 1/2" Luan
Ceilings - 1/2" Luan
Any suggestions will be appreciated. I need several options since material in this area has zoomed up in price since Katrina.
Also, any value in putting 3'4" sound deadening board between the studs before wiring & putting in insulation?
Steve in Louisiana . . .
Steve DeMars wrote:

Any particular reason not to use drywall?
Chris
Drywall is 42 cents per square foot here for 1/2" and it damages easily . . .
We have a heavy demand for drywall . . . " KATRINA"

ceiling.

You probably also have a building code there. Your insurance company would take it as an opportunity to avoid paying a claim if you violated it with flammable materials on walls and ceiling. Of course, you might get hit by a hurricane before you caught fire ....
Well what about wood paneling on walls?
Wood be wood . . .
Steve

would
Steve DeMars wrote:

You can buy 1/2" lauan for less than $13.44 for a 4x8' sheet? Even if you can, I'm not sure I'd want it...lots of the wod they use for the ply puts out some really fierce splinters.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
If you can find it, 3/8" rough sawn plywood makes a nice wall.
The 1/2" luan is not a bad choice. MDF is going to be awful heavy for a wall section.
The ceiling would be the 3/8" I mentioned earlier.
It's currently $18 per sheet here in south eastern N.C.
Sheetrock is an option at about $9.00 a sheet but requires a good bit of work to hang,tape,finish,paint.
The wood wall will stand up to a lot more abuse than anything else.
Steve DeMars wrote:

For my turning shop, I hung 5/8" drywall - pretty solid stuff and takes a good hit before punching through - easy to touch up any dings with a dollop of compound. I totally skipped the taping and mudding of the joints - just painted semi-gloss (or was it high-satin) on the hung panels. It was inexpensive, easy to hang and cut holes for the outlets, easy to paint and entire sections are easy to replace if need be by just pulling the easily found, non-mud packed screws. Did I mention it was easy?
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Steve, I would use 1/2 insulated particle board. (The insulation is laminated on one side and is a thin foil layer.) It works remarkably well and is easy to install. For me, I would then cover it with 1/2 drywall for a clean appearance or at least prime and paint it.
Dave
My choice is 1/2" plywood for the walls - so I can hang anything I want, anywhere I want. Would probably paint it a light color. 1/2" Sheetrock for the ceiling - because it's cheap, needs to be bright, and I like smooth ceilings
--
Charley