Shop Ceiling ?

Ok Guys, I built a new pole building for a shop, I have the walls insulated. Now I am onto the ceiling . I don't have enough $ to use roll insulation so I would like to use the blow in kind. WHat would you use for a ceiling ? I am also trying to stay away from drywall because of the weight and also the weight of trying to install it. What would you try or recommend ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Sorry to say it, but the best, cheapest way is probably drywall! (I know you did not want to hear that!)

Maybe corrugated sheet metal? I never have priced it out.

Blow in insulation would most likely be cheapest, but check with a couple of insulation installers in your area. You may be able to get it blown in for less money than you can buy it! I checked for insulation for my house, and found I could get it done cheaper than doing it myself.

Greg

Reply to
Greg O

To hold the blown in insulation you need something fairly solid. Like drywall. If the ceiling joist cannot take the weight of a few sheets, you may have some rather big problems.

As for the installation, there are some tricks. One is to make a couple of "T" supports to hold the drywall in place until you get a couple of screws in place. Once you do a sheet or two, the rest goes easy. You will need some help though.

If you are thinking of using sheeting of plastic, forget about it. One day you will find all that loose insulation on the floor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Pole barns generally don't have "ceiling joists"........

The rafters are bolted to the poles in pairs on 12 ft centers, with purlins set above them on 2ft centers and running lengthwise to the structure, upon which roof sheeting is attached.

I think I would probly put bats of insulation up in-between the purlins, and simply hold it in place with 1/4 x 2 wood lath nailed to the bottom of the purlins, or perhaps twine stapled in a "w" pattern by use of an air powered stapler.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT