Shop Solution For Home Gyms

I used to build gym equipment and still do a little consulting, etc. I have been working with a couple people trying to install too much equipment into too small of a space. Sound familiar?

So I went to the old shop solution and started to install casters on the side or bottom of some pieces. That way they can be wheeled into position to be used and wheeled out of the way when done.

Most of the time I make an angled block so the caster is just a fraction of an inch off the floor. Then just lift one end and wheel it away. If needed I could install a handle of some kind on the other end. Many modern benches for home gym have this feature already. I just put it on some equipment in this guys garage.

Anyway, I did one unit tonight and the guy I was working with got so excited he bought all the tools and supplies so he could do it himself. That is OK, I have other things to do. I thought it was interesting that I have not seen this shop solution done that often for home gyms.

Now I am looking around and envisioning other things I can install casters on. Hmmmmm....

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I thought this was going to be a thread on the adaptive use of gym equipment by woodworkers...

Like this:

John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

I have seen at least 30 homemade sawmills in my time. I grew up around them and have worked with a few of them. They were constructed out of whatever was lying around. But I have NEVER seen one made from some old (new/) gym equipment.

It is widely known that much gym equipment never gets used. But rather than collecting dust, this guy figured out a unique and innovative use for it. Besides, wrestling around logs and making lumber is good exercise.

Thanks for the heads up on this one John. I will be smiling all morning.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It just goes to show that where there's a will there's a way! :) Thanks for the post.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You are welcome... It gave me a good chuckle so I figured others would enjoy it...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin