Quick test to verify I can still post to rec.ww

Been dealing with a computer crash and had to rebuild system.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:x7idnYjsAMTv7oXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

It seems to work! Comgratulations.

Now come and help support Obama! Please!

Reply to
Han

It didn't work.

Back to the drawing board. :)

I feel your pain. Been through this little drama myself.

Reply to
Lee Michaels
7oXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com...

Get a Mac.

Reply to
Robatoy

What percentage of the problem was Windows?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Get a Mac.

-----------------

Real men use PC's.

Siisies, wimps and girlie men use macs.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Get a Mac.

Why buy a Mac? You can actually repair a PC. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

At the bottom of the message window, there are two reply otions. Reply and Reply to Sender,

In a case like this, does he really eed six replies to verify he can post?

The responses drove this OP to the top of the "most active" list!

It is no wonder Microsoft has so many "issues" if it is marketing to folks who can'r seem to get with the program!

Not that I favor Windows - I am trying to move to LINUX in the hope that it will serve much as dis the original DOS. Nut may well move to MAC/Apple if that doesn't work out rather then be forced to move to Windows 7 when I get my next laptop.

As to the list, if we all reply to sender for such posts and for all OT posts, the "most active" notices will be driven by Woodworking issues - the list's raison d'etre, nes pas?

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

This is your brain on Google Groups.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Real men use Linux on PC's. Unfortunately, I got to exercise that manhood this week. What started out as a problem not having working DNS turned into a full system re-build. Have most apps back now, I think I'm only missing Blender and VariCAD.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

0%. I run Linux. My wife's computer is an iMAC and we have one PC that our son uses running Windows.

I'm not sure what happened to cause the problem. DNS stopped working on the Linux box and no adjustments to network settings would fix it. Sooo, went with an attempt to repair the system that started a downward spiral breaking even more stuff and ended up having to re-install the OS. That meant that I also got to re-install a fair number of applications and libraries. The good news was this did clean up the OS partition significantly. The sad thing is that I had resisted upgrading to OpenSuse 11.2 because 11.1 is working just fine and I didn't want to have to re-install lots of apps and libraries.

No data was lost during this exercise -- that was the one bright spot.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

son uses running Windows.

Linux box and no adjustments to network settings would fix it. Sooo, went with an attempt to repair the system that started a downward spiral breaking even more stuff and ended up having to re-install the OS. That meant that I also got to re-install a fair number of applications and libraries. The good news was this did clean up the OS partition significantly. The sad thing is that I had resisted upgrading to OpenSuse 11.2 because 11.1 is working just fine and I didn't want to have to re-install lots of apps and libraries.

Having /home on a separate partition is the key to that, or it at least makes it relatively easy.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

... snip

Yep.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That is because PC's need to be repaired...often....

Reply to
Robatoy

That is because PC's need to be repaired...often....

My experience, 23 years with a PC, 2 repairs.

Reply to
Leon

Well, there ya go.

Reply to
Robatoy

Went through that exercise today. I downloaded a DNS benchmark analyzer and found that my ISP's DNS resolver was 54th on the list in speed. I changed my DNS server list to the two fastest on the list and things seem to be a bit peppier - especially those pages that try to load 108 varying advertisements.

The tester I used is here:

agree with you about Linux. To my mind, Linux users are like the Celtic warriors hired by the medieval English kings: Fierce as hell, loyal to a fault, single-minded in their goals.

You just wouldn't want them to actually, you know, RUN things.

Reply to
HeyBub

You're confused because you're accessing the newsgroup via that horrid web interface called "Google Groups." I really can't see how you can master Linux if you can't master a newsreader.

Reply to
HeyBub

... snip

Thanks, just bookmarked that

:-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber