Shop shoes for sore feet?

Page 1 of 2
Hi Folks,
My workshop/garage has a cement floor.
After two hours or so using running shoes my feet start to ache, despite orthotics. (Approaching 70 does not help, I suppose).
Any recomendations for suitable footwear?
Thanks, Gary
Wood floor ?
I have the same feet issue. I think spring boards in teh isles would be the item.
Martin
G Mulcaster wrote:

There are some rubber mats that you can buy that soften the floor for old feet.
"G Mulcaster" wrote:

Wait still Swingman checks in, he is my resident shoe guru.
Last time I think it was Rockport, but let him confirm.
Lew
At 6'2 and 280, my poor flat feet take a real beating. I am on them all day on job sites, climbing ladders, working on roofs, hanging doors, all the normal crap a remodel/repair contractor does.
I buy the Timberland hikers they have at my local sporting goods stores. They are similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/mnyy9a
I buy the lightest ones they have, without any waterproofing, and with the most breathable nylon available.
My feet are so flat that footprints of my naked foot look like Donald Duck's. I have had problems with footwear my entire life.
I take those lightweight boots and put some memory foam inserts (the ones with the little arches) over the inserts in the boots. Wearing them while working on concrete I have no problems with my feet all day long. They have just enough support at the ankle to keep my foot lined up when walking, and enough padding in the shoe to keep my arch up (well... as much as possible).
Even with my tool bags on all day my feet or back don't hurt.
I haven't owned but a couple of pairs of tennis shoes that were as comfortable as this arrangement. Boots were $69, and the insoles were $12. They even let me try them out in the store.
As always, just my 0.02.
Robert

I recently switched to this shoe/boot http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId470170&cp 79791.1761081.2889894&parentPagemily
This one is water proof and hot if you lace the shoe tightly, it took me about 4 weeks to learn how tight to tie the laces. ;!) My feet got wet from sweat. Now with a bit looser lacing at the top my feet stay perfectly comfortable and dry all day long.
About $89 at Academy.

Can you hear the opening music from the Twilight Zone?
That is the exact boot I was looking for when I posted the link, but never did find the exact model. These are the boots I wear most of the time. I love 'em.
Robert

shoe/boothttp://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId470170&cp 79...
Can you hear the opening music from the Twilight Zone?
That is the exact boot I was looking for when I posted the link, but never did find the exact model. These are the boots I wear most of the time. I love 'em.
Robert
Great Minds! ;~) Where are you buying yours?
But uh, ,,,,, ,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,, K Boop ??????? LOL

Betty's brother.

How strange... I don't know how that happened. I used LOML's machine, and then switched to mine. I used google groups on hers, then the same on mine.
Google has made some other changes in their security for posting, so no telling what happened. I have been posting from GG for a long time, so not paying attention, it could be operator error as well.
Guess we'll see when I post this one, eh?
;^)
Robert
BTW - Boop is indeed an inside joke with me and her about B Boop. It has to do with her ALWAYS sunshiny outlook on life... ummm..... errr..... or maybe the opposite....

How strange... I don't know how that happened. I used LOML's machine, and then switched to mine. I used google groups on hers, then the same on mine.
Google has made some other changes in their security for posting, so no telling what happened. I have been posting from GG for a long time, so not paying attention, it could be operator error as well.
Guess we'll see when I post this one, eh?
Boops I did it again! LOL

Yup, Rockies and DrMartin work boots for me. Picked up 3 pair of Rockports for $ 100.00 at a factory outlet store (Birch Run, Highway 75 between Flint and Saginaw MI. The Docs I have to wear when handling a 400 pound slab of quartz..steel toes, dontchaknow and super lateral ankle support.

Yup, Rockies and DrMartin work boots for me. Picked up 3 pair of Rockports for $ 100.00 at a factory outlet store (Birch Run, Highway 75 between Flint and Saginaw MI. The Docs I have to wear when handling a 400 pound slab of quartz..steel toes, dontchaknow and super lateral ankle support.
------------------------------------------------------------------------ an old lady was installing some wooden slat type mats in a butchers shop in the places where she stood the most. (to get some height for her feet away from the floor)
she said it was the *coldness* (rather than the hardness) of the cement floor that was causing the aches.

Yeah, I used to work standing on tiled floors all day and rubber mats DO make a big difference. They're better than any soft shoes.

Combat boots, believe it or not -- most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Next choice would be Rockports. And get some rubber floor mats.
Doug Miller wrote:

I have a horse mat at my workbench. Got it at the local feed store. Much cheaper than purpose-built mats for woodshops. It's very dense, but I can really notice the difference between the concrete and the mat.
The only downside is that the slightly rough surface makes it a bit more difficult to sweep up fine shavings.
G Mulcaster wrote:

This - and back trouble - were occupational hazards for dentists. About 30 years ago, the whole practice of dentistry changed with a new model of treatment.
The patient chair was lowered and the dentist sat on a stool.
A couple of stools may be the answer to your problem. Just getting off your feet and onto your butt for a short while will make a big difference.

Rock ports have been my shoe of choice since 1987, I worked 8 hour days in a concrete floor warehouse.
Now I do a lot of working on concrete floors, not as much but do a lot of walking on concrete streets.
Over the years I have learned,
1. A good hiking shoe tends to hold up better than most as far as the sole is concerned, it is also more comfortable on various surface conditions.
2. Water proof is wonderful, I typically wear these shoes all day long every day. Washing the car or washing in on wet ground or streets in these shoes keep my feet dry.
3. You can no longer trust a Rockport Water Proof label. My last 2 pair of Rockport water proof shoes leak water worse than regular tennis shoes. Rock port replaced the second to last pair of water proof shoes with a different style of water proof shoe and they were worse than the ones they replaced. Having mentioned this to the Rockport web site the answer was that their shoe is Waterproof, meaning it is OK to get the shoe wet, it will not necessarily keep your feet dry like my 5 previous pair did.
4. Rockport used to be a great shoe but now IMHO are simply "average".
5. Timberland hiking high top shoes are in deed water proof and very comfortable.

Both issues probably related to Rockport having moved their manufacturing from the U.S. to China.

Probably but the reason for the shoes leaking is that the tongue is not sewn completely down both sides of the lace flaps as normal water proof shoes are. I thought surely that the first pair was a QC issue but the new replacements which were also XCS water proof shoes had no webbing at all between the tongue and the lace flaps. The last pair were literally sewn together like regular shoes. I could tell they were going to leak before I laced them up.