Shoe rack?

I need to build a rack to hold many pairs of shoes. Each cubby-hole will be about 12 w x 12 d x 8 h (inches).
My question is about materials. In N. California, we see no snow at the coast, but the winter sees some rain, so wet shoes should be expected.
Easiest is to just strip plywood verticals 12 " wide and cut shelves to fit in notched locations. But I'm concerned about pooled water causing damage.
I have no spraying capability, and handling paint, shellacs and other oil-based materials is not desirable.
Someone suggested cedar, due to its good water-resistance properties, but this could be costly.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net

Let the shoes dry before placing them in the rack.
scott
DaveC wrote:

Remember that you asked (-:
How about putting a grill (wood or perforated metal) to cover one of the cubby holes - mount a small blower inside (a PC fan would probably do the job well) to blow air into an adjacent cubby hole fitted with a pull-out (acrylic or well-sealed wood) tray for the wet pair of shoes? If you're in the habit of soaking more than one pair of shoes at a time, add drying cubby holes as needed.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Solar Power the pie fan, 12 VDC

Then use a water-based finish. There a good selection of water-borne floor finishes than can be brushed on and will give you excellent durability. Rather than going to a home depot type of store, seek out a good quality paint store. They are usually more knowledgeable, can give you better advice, and have better quality products.

fit
Depends on how pretty it has to be and how long you want it to last. Plywood will work, cedar will work better, and teak still better, but only you can determine if the cost is justified. Marine plywood or pressure treated in an option also. Use a water based urethane for a finish if you don't want oil based. Ed
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:44:38 -0800, Edwin Pawlowski wrote

Thanks, Ed. I hadn't thought of marine or p.t. options.
To add a little more information: this rack must hold at least 50 pairs of shoes (not for the home, obviously...). I'm considering using 4x8 plywood for the back to give shear strength, and the 12-inch deep vertical runners with small shelves for each pair of shoes inserted in slots routed every 8 inches or so up the verticals.
I'll look into marine ply or p.t. woods.
Are water-based urethanes water-resistant once they've cured?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
"DaveC"

Yes. Water based products are often used for flooring. Very durable once cured. Ed
DaveC wrote:

Slope the shelves down to the front. ;-)
-- Mark
Dave,
Try going to this online shoe store ... http://www.zappos.com/welcome2.zhtml?0304
On the right-hand side, scroll down to "Accessories" and in there you'll see one of their aromatic cedar shoe racks. You could modify that simple design to suit yourself. (This also happens to be the best place I know of to buy boots and shoes)
Larry
-- Americans snipped-for-privacy@totacc.com