Shoe rack?

I need to build a rack to hold many pairs of shoes. Each cubby-hole will be about 12 w x 12 d x 8 h (inches).

My question is about materials. In N. California, we see no snow at the coast, but the winter sees some rain, so wet shoes should be expected.

Easiest is to just strip plywood verticals 12 " wide and cut shelves to fit in notched locations. But I'm concerned about pooled water causing damage.

I have no spraying capability, and handling paint, shellacs and other oil-based materials is not desirable.

Someone suggested cedar, due to its good water-resistance properties, but this could be costly.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Use dowels as the shelves. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Let the shoes dry before placing them in the rack.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Remember that you asked (-:

How about putting a grill (wood or perforated metal) to cover one of the cubby holes - mount a small blower inside (a PC fan would probably do the job well) to blow air into an adjacent cubby hole fitted with a pull-out (acrylic or well-sealed wood) tray for the wet pair of shoes? If you're in the habit of soaking more than one pair of shoes at a time, add drying cubby holes as needed.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Then use a water-based finish. There a good selection of water-borne floor finishes than can be brushed on and will give you excellent durability. Rather than going to a home depot type of store, seek out a good quality paint store. They are usually more knowledgeable, can give you better advice, and have better quality products.

Reply to
mp

An afterthought...

Instead of a manual switch for the fan, ask a friendly electronics geek to put together a circuit using an IR-LED and IR-Detector (avaliable from Radio Shack) to turn on the fan and start a timer whenever a pair of shoes is put into a drying cubby

- then turn it off at the end of an hour (or whatever interval you want) or when all drying cubbies are empty. (Estimated cost for the control circuitry is less than ten dollars but you'll owe your geek pal a couple of beers and public praise.)

Sound complicated - but isn't. With no apologies for the pun: It'll knock her socks off.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Depends on how pretty it has to be and how long you want it to last. Plywood will work, cedar will work better, and teak still better, but only you can determine if the cost is justified. Marine plywood or pressure treated in an option also. Use a water based urethane for a finish if you don't want oil based. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Slope the shelves down to the front. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:00:21 -0600, Morris Dovey scribbled:

Solar Power the pie fan, 12 VDC

Reply to
Len

Dave,

Try going to this online shoe store ...

the right-hand side, scroll down to "Accessories" and in there you'll see one of their aromatic cedar shoe racks. You could modify that simple design to suit yourself. (This also happens to be the best place I know of to buy boots and shoes)

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence R Horgan

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:44:38 -0800, Edwin Pawlowski wrote (in article ):

Thanks, Ed. I hadn't thought of marine or p.t. options.

To add a little more information: this rack must hold at least 50 pairs of shoes (not for the home, obviously...). I'm considering using 4x8 plywood for the back to give shear strength, and the 12-inch deep vertical runners with small shelves for each pair of shoes inserted in slots routed every 8 inches or so up the verticals.

I'll look into marine ply or p.t. woods.

Are water-based urethanes water-resistant once they've cured?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

"DaveC"

Yes. Water based products are often used for flooring. Very durable once cured. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski