Enclosed fireproof shoe rack/box?

After spending a sizeable chunk of my savings on carpeting my flat and being a bit of a muddy gardener I requested to be able to fit a shoe rack outside my front door in the shared hallway.

To do this I need to have the rack or box closeable and fireproof, as shoes can be quite flammable.

Any tips on the material and construction of such an object?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yep, that why shops that sell shoes can't get fire insurance!

Reply to
alan_m

Perhaps something along the lines of:

You might need a couple depending on how many shoes you intend to store.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Use a gas or electric meter box? Or a steel locker from any of the industrial locker/cupboard suppliers.

I assume it's supposed to be non-combustible, not actually fireproof.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Old ammo box?

Reply to
jkn

Looks sturdy but I'm wondering if metal alone would stop shoes burning. Maybe the answer is an open rack with asbestos shoes.

Oh no, that would be from one potential health problem to another.

Perhaps I'll ask for permission to fit a metal ladder to my balcony and leave my shoes out there.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Thanks I'll go look for one of those. Would it need to be lined with something to stop shoes burning in a building fire?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Am 07.12.2023 um 11:55 schrieb Mike Halmarack:

Cheap used file cabinet?

Reply to
Matthias Czech

I presume at least some of this is a dig at some regulations you are having to follow...

If the box is shut then I would expect the lack of oxygen to prevent "burning* ... it wouldn't stop them *cooking* though.

Reply to
jkn

I'm astonished that the freeholder is even considering this.

The hallway is a primary escape route in the event of fire. It needs to be devoid of flammable items, obviously, but it also needs to be devoid of unexpected trip hazards such as an ammo box full of shoes.

Why doesn't the OP just take his muddy gardening shoes off outside the block and carry them into his flat in a carrier bag?

Reply to
GB

But then he'd need somewhere to store the shoes he wears to and from the garden :)

I suggest just 2 plastic bags that can carried in a pocket and put on over the muddy shoes. Or - now supermarkets are not a ready source of free bags -

Robin

That's definitely a possibility, though it may be too deep for it's intended location.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not so much a dig, more a desire to get it right first time.

Trouble is, they'd probably shrink in the cooking.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

After much thought and discussion.

The section of landing in question isn't part of the escape route. It's a dead ended area beyond the stairway.

The ammo box wouldn't be a trip hazard because it wouldn't be on or too near the floor. It would be under a high wall cupboard.

That would also be an option.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Thanks it may well come to this. I'm not keen on starting a plastic bag trend though. Not after all the money I've spent on fashionable attire at the charity shop. Got to keep up appearances.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If there's a space for it, then I still think they are right that you need a steel box of some sort. You may feel that they are just ticking boxes, but my experience of flats is that everybody wants to use the common parts for storage, and the fire hazards accumulate.

Reply to
GB

That's so true, you should see the garages. I'm feeling suitably deterred from the whole idea.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack