Shipping Charges

Page 3 of 3
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:57:27 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Yes, all the way to the mailbox. I'll be putting up the red flag by myself, too. Want to see the video on Youtube?
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Yeah, you gotta link? How many stamps did you put on it? LOL
Leon wrote:

Leon, I think they're maybe not treating you right - if I leave a note in the mailbox (or phone the PO, or ask the carrier) they even bring me the boxes (got some small ones beside me right now). The mail carrier picks 'em up and will take a personal check for postage.
They even put the stamp on _for_ me. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

LOL... Actually I have "one" of the last few good postmen. In my neighborhood he still drives to each mail box at the ends of the driveways. BUT he often stops and carries my mail up to my garage if he sees me working on a project.
We watch each others back. A few days ago he was driving down the street and I saw him coming so I walked out to meet him and pick up my mail. A "crazy" lady was running down the sidewalk chasing him, arms flailing. When he stopped to hand me the mail she caught up, out of breath. We both looked at her while she asked, do you have any mail for me?
He looks at her and asks, who are you? She does not answer. Again he asks, who are you? She finally responds, I am a resident. Again he asks, who are you? She responds, do you have any mail for me?
He looks at me, I look at him, I look at her and respond, he wants to know your name and probably your address. I further point out that I appreciate the fact that he does not hand out mail to people he does not recognize and that are chasing him down the street.
She never identified herself or exactly where she lived. She left, yelling less than pleasant comments about him.
Unfortunately he is going to retire in the Spring and will probably be replaced by one of the ones that typically take 3 trips to our neighborhood to deliver all the mail all day long. There are only 250 homes in our neighborhood.
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:25:23 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

She got exactly what she deserved. He played it safe and your neighborhood mail is safer for it. Here in quaint little Grants Pass, we have a neighbor who snoops in other mailboxes. The neighbor who is being sued (snoop is apparently trying to steal her land through an old homesteader law. "I've set my stuff here for over 10 years, so now it's mine!") has lost mail from social security, her attorney, and several utilities. I saw her snoop in another box while she was jogging by with her dog, which is never kept on a leash. I wish I'd had a camera so we could put the bitch away.

Yeah, those new guys just don't know what efficiency is or how to milk a Civil Service job, do they? I had to ask mine to kindly finish closing the box after he's done putting mail it it, especially during the rainy days. I got two days of soggy mail in one week and then wrote the letter. He's one of the new guys, and it appears that our outlying area is one of the training or penalty routes. We get a whole lot of new faces driving the route each year, sometimes each month. <sigh>
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774
Larry Jaques wrote:

Manifestation of the dumbing down of America through education can often be observed first at the USPS, where even that paltry bit of education is beyond the available intelligence.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I dunno. I sometimes think it's how far into an urban area you live, or how close. We're rural. Our mail carrier retired two or three years ago, after about 35 years on the job. She lived three miles up the road and had the route arranged so she delivered all 300+ road boxes in time to get home and make a late lunch. She was never late, never lost mail, unfailingly helped out with mail problems, etc.
Our new carrier took about a year to set the route up to her needs, but she is still far from making it home for a late lunch. Still, in her short time, she's gone from delivering our mail at anywhere from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to getting it here by 1:45 a.m. most days. She also has never lost a letter or package, drives larger stuff down to our door instead of dropping it under the box, and is generally excellent and improving. She is afraid of dogs. The first time I opened the door and mutt came scampering out, it terrified her. Our mutt is a terrier- dachshund that is about 9" tall and weighs 17 fairly pudgy pounds. She also is the world's friendliest dog, which is rough on people afraid of dogs--she runs up to them wagging her tail and wiggling in anticipation of a new person to sniff.
Sometimes I think a lot of it has to do with localized work ethics. We're fortunate.
Charlie Self wrote:

So you can read the mail before breakfast! Have another cup of coffee, Charlie. :>)
Gerald Ross Cochran, GA
It's a damned poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.

The joys of Uncle Arthur..arthritis, in real terms. That was supposed to be 11:45.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:24:25 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Silly. Youtube doesn't need stamps.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

This subject comes up at least once or twice a year. At times, the charges seem high, but the basic cost is fixed, no matter the value and no matter the weight. Thee is a cost to process the order and do the paperwork. Then the rest starts to happen. You need a carton, you need an order picker, you need labor and packing material to get it all together, then there are the actual UPS or whatever carrier charges. The $10 shipping really get annoying when you need a $2 knob for the toaster. With tools and supplies, it is an incentive to make a larger order.
The cost can vary considerably from one business to another. Amazon, for instance, offers free shipping on $25+ orders. They are highly automated. My company will not accept an order less that $300 and we ship freight collect. We are not set up to handle small stuff.
Gerald Ross wrote:

I have noticed - I wonder if they've noticed that I've been ordering less from them...
...probably not. :(
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I'll bet Rob pops up here and gives an unequivocal "Yes" to that query, but it's more likely from our devalued dollar than from his company's shipping policy degradation. Overall, not from individuals.
Next time, Gerald, call Rob and ask him to pop it in an envelope for you. <bseg>
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

I feel your pain. Have you noticed that shipping costs have gone up?
I took a 6"x6"x7" box weighing a pound over to the UPS store and they told me, to ship it two states away, would cost me $18. WTH?? I asked why so much and they started spouting a list of fees like gas fees and rural fees, etc. Rural I said? This isn't a rural address, it's next to a huge mall in the heart of town!I told the UPS person I won't be using them anymore and recommending the same to everyone else. With those charges, especially in this economy, they're asking to get hurt.
Needless to say I didn't use UPS. Instead I got my package shipped via Fed Ex for $5.61, including insurance. It arrived in two days.
I used to do shipping and receiving for a living and am frankly appalled at the overcharges for average people to ship. If shipping costs continue to rise, there will be no point in sending gifts. Be better to send money or wait till you can get together. I'd rather give that $18 as a money gift than waste it on shipping.
`Casper
I shipped two pallets containing about 1400 pounds each of steel targets. They went out by Fed Ex ground. I think truck to airport, airport by truck to site in mountains. Cheaper than truck lines by several hundred dollars.
Martin