Shipping Charges

I was shopping locally for a Hoya R72 IR filter for my camera... Quoted between $98 and $140 canuckbux.

Got one from a camera shop somewhere in Montana via eBay for $40.31 Canadian, shipping in.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The time you spend with your wife has no worth? How about the time spent with your kids? Worthless? It must be a real PIA to be worthless for 2/3 of your day. Weekends must be really bad. Then there are holidays. Must really suck.

Reply to
CW

I presumed we were talking about work time. I assumed whatever he was purchasing was work related, ie: income producing. Most guy who post in here during the day are either retired, self-employed, or posting from work (tsk-tsk). I post here, when i should be in the shop building something. :-)

Yes, time invested in family is worth more than any paycheck. I forget the quote, but it's something like... "No man on his deathbed ever said 'I wish I had spent more time at the office.'"

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:46:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

I did, too, years back. I have a whole stable of Knight planes as a result of one. I think his website is 3 gens beyond mine now.

I'll have to do that again this year, huh?

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Haven't seen Steve Knight on here in ages. Just took a look at his web page, looks like he is still going strong.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I've got a custom jack plane he built for me, as well as one of his beta scrub planes.

Good to see he's still going strong. His kits are tempting, especially given the quality of his irons.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Lee Michaels

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:52:21 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

Ayup, them arn is sharp and beefy bastids, they is.

Luigi's in Portland. Hey, WeeGee, been by Steve's place yet?

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The joys of Uncle Arthur..arthritis, in real terms. That was supposed to be 11:45.

Reply to
Charlie Self

John Adams, 1774

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Seneca

Because it's not a business. I'm getting rid of some books that have been read, won't be read again in this house. I'm sick of building bookcases, and don't have wall space for any more anyway. I sometimes go two or three months without shipping anything, and can see the time when it will be more like four or five or six months. I sure as hell don't want to add another 16 bucks a month to bills for that. I print label and postage in one whack, from PayPal. When suitable, I used Priority Mail boxes, but they're not much use for books, when eBay limits shipping charges to $3.99. I've got a full complement of Priority Mail boxes and envelopes here, just in case.

I didn't price envelopes on eBay...my oversight. The nearest Walgreen's is in Lynchburg, 35 miles from here, so...

I just cut prices on about 11 books that didn't sell. If they don't sell this time, it's a windfall for Goodwill, and the 14 envelopes I've got on hand are just another PITA.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I did something similar for an 82mm UV filter I needed. Those things are not cheap, but I got one for $45 delivered, instead of $110 from B&H. There's no place locally to buy that size filter...I think I could have gotten it in Charlottesville, which is about 2-1/2 hours each way.

Reply to
Charlie Self

So did I. I ended up with 3 planes and eventually selling him well over

1,000 mouth blocks. He does not use mouth blocks anymore. :~(
Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:24:28 -0800 (PST), the infamous Charlie Self scrawled the following:

Don't they let you add a handling or crating fee, too? I've only sold one book on eBay, andI have 300 to go. The lady who was going to eBay 'em for me dropped out with no explanation 2 years ago, so my bedroom floor has some mighty dusty boxes full of books holding it down.

That precludes that.

Try Craigslist, too. Set your own prices and stick to 'em. No fees, wait for a check to come in or accept Paypal as many do, myself included.

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I feel your pain. Have you noticed that shipping costs have gone up?

I took a 6"x6"x7" box weighing a pound over to the UPS store and they told me, to ship it two states away, would cost me $18. WTH?? I asked why so much and they started spouting a list of fees like gas fees and rural fees, etc. Rural I said? This isn't a rural address, it's next to a huge mall in the heart of town!I told the UPS person I won't be using them anymore and recommending the same to everyone else. With those charges, especially in this economy, they're asking to get hurt.

Needless to say I didn't use UPS. Instead I got my package shipped via Fed Ex for $5.61, including insurance. It arrived in two days.

I used to do shipping and receiving for a living and am frankly appalled at the overcharges for average people to ship. If shipping costs continue to rise, there will be no point in sending gifts. Be better to send money or wait till you can get together. I'd rather give that $18 as a money gift than waste it on shipping.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

I shipped two pallets containing about 1400 pounds each of steel targets. They went out by Fed Ex ground. I think truck to airport, airport by truck to site in mountains. Cheaper than truck lines by several hundred dollars.

Mart>> Have you noticed that most of the woodworking supply companies have

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn