Setting a wagon tire

Page 2 of 6

That "burn permit" is the city wanting to make money under the guise of "environmentalism". It's about time some of these idiots started "disappearing".
On 8/1/2010 5:07 AM, CW wrote:

You can have a barbecue here but it has to be in either the portable kind on wheels or if you're going to use a pile of bricks then you need to pull a permit and get the inspector to approve it, and he's not gonna unless the bricks are mortared together.
CW wrote: ...

Not at all in areas that have or are susceptible to red flag warnings -- it's common-sense protection to minimize chances for wildfires that easily can get out of hand.
The "permit" is no-cost; the requirement means there's some control over where/what/when and an awareness of who/where/when so have handle on responders and sufficient to handle just in case.
The difference to the miscreant is if have gotten the permit and something happens as long as you abided by conditions and it was an inadvertent incident such as a sudden gust of wind you're off the hook. If, otoh, you ignore and go ahead any way, you can be liable for responder costs and penalties.

NO, it's not. They want to regulate fire hazards. They won't issue permits in very dry weather, for instance.

No, it's a way of preventing yahoos from starting wild fires.
In article

Does it work?

Apparently not.

Fairly well, actually. Not 100%, but the number of wildfires started 'per capita' is *way* down in the areas that do this.
CW wrote:

Be careful what you ask for, idiot.
CW wrote:

But then I wouldn't have known the history of the wheelwright, would not have watched LOX light a charcoal grill, would not have seen what happens when a bowl of Liquid Nitrogen is dumped in a swimming pool (spin off of the LOX) would not have known HF sells a propane weed burner for $12.
On the other hand, if it were me, I would have likely screwed up a wheel or two before asking, and another after asking before realizing there is more toit than meets the eye...
--
Jack
Conservatives believe every day is the Fourth of July, Liberals believe

of course there is, this is the *very* special case of a _round_ toit.

I've seen Barbecuing with Liquid Oxygen. Where's the liquid nitrogen one?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2mj-Sq2oeo&NR=1

--
Jack
Got Change: Now CHANGE IT BACK!

Hey, by the way, HF sells a decorative wagon wheel, too! Problem solved!

Okay, are we talking about J. Clarke's feet or yours? One of each...? {ducking once again}

How about one of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/heaters/propane-torch-91033.html
Mark

2 feet in diameter is about the size of a large pizza. Will it fit in your oven?

On 7/31/2010 10:13 AM, Larry W wrote:

No. 21 wide by 17 deep. There's also the question of whether it gets hot enough for good take-up. The tire doesn't just have to fit, it has to be a little undersized when cold so that it loads the wooden parts in compression--that's where the strength of the wheel comes from. 500F will give about a quarter inch of expansion with low carbon steel, red heat will give close to a half inch. The various 1800s and early 1900s blacksmithing journals suggest that the iron in use at the time would expand more than this.
By the way, the large pizza from the big chains is 14-15 inch, the independents may go 18.

Three barbecues in a triangle?
According to this sectional tires are also authentic: http://www.wheelwrights.org/craft_history_frame.html
I'd angle the ends of one felloe such that screws through the rim wedge it in.
Long ago I watched the smith at Mystic Seaport finish a wheel. IIRC he had a jig that clamped the wheel together and located the hot rim when he dropped it on.
jsw

Clear a spot on the ground and pile some charcoal over it. Perhaps use old bricks to shore up the outer diameter of the pile. I don't know if this violates your 'no burn' statute, but you could say you are roasting a goat.
Judicious use of a high output propane weed burner would eventually work as well.
-Bruce