Setting a wagon tire

Sounds a bit fancy and prideful to me...

Reply to
ATP

No, it's a way of preventing yahoos from starting wild fires.

Reply to
rangerssuck

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:i32np002bm0 @news6.newsguy.com:

Pythagorean theorem. This only would work if you've got enough height to stand the wheel vertically across the oven.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The nearest Amish smith to here is about 250 miles away and I have to drive through NYC to get there.

The layer of rubber is a thought.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Does it work?

Reply to
Stuart

Apparently not.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

So put the wheel, tire, a bag of charcoal, some matches, a few tools, and firebrick in your car and drive down the road to somewhere that's not so anal.

How hard could that be?

Reply to
HeyBub

That would likely be in another state.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Fairly well, actually. Not 100%, but the number of wildfires started 'per capita' is *way* down in the areas that do this.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

of course there is, this is the *very* special case of a _round_ toit.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Calculating the change in circumference is the 'hard way' to get the answer.

A 'hole' in a piece of 'something'(anything) expands at the *exactly* the same rate as the material surrounding it.

So, the diameter will increase by 24*.00000645 inches per degree or, .00015480 in/degree.

Assuming 70f ambient. heating to 500F gets 0.0665+" on the diameter, which is almost exactly 1/15th of an inch. heating to 1000F gets 0.1439+" just over

1/7".

The tricky part is manhandling the two parts so the surfaces stay "parallel" from inner side to outer side, and getting things in place before the tire cools appreciably.

I'd be tempted to 'cheat', and subject the wooden wheel to a dry ice (or similar) treatment, to -shrink- it as much as possible.

Also get the wood as _dry_ as possible before mounting the tire, and then let it absorb moisture back to 'normal' level. every little bit helps. ;)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yeahbut applies. a standard commercial pizza oven holds typically

*six* minimum (16-18") and will hit into the 8-900F range if pushed.

Now, arranging to "borrow' a pizza place's oven, *that's* a whole nuther level of complexity.

Similarly, it'd take a *really* big ceramics kiln to fit that tire in.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

AH! if -that's- all. get some roofing 'gutter'. the galvanized variety. tack pieces together to approximate a circle of the right diameter.

Add tire, charcoal, and torch it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

"Ve haf vays to make you tok."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not at all. Stick a flat metal circle on it, tell the pizza guy that you'll pay him $20 to test out your new invention - The Pizza Magic Oven Ring. Then after the 'test', grab the thing, run outside and start pounding the wheel together in his parking lot.

RicodJour

I've seen Barbecuing with Liquid Oxygen. Where's the liquid nitrogen one?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Hey, by the way, HF sells a decorative wagon wheel, too! Problem solved!

Reply to
Larry W

Jack Stein

Be careful what you ask for, idiot.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cassano's used to sell a 40" party pizza, but you had to order it three days before the party. The price was about $30, 25 years ago. I always wanted to see how much I could eat, in one try. When I was in my

20s, we used to have pizza eating contests. We had a half hour for lunch, which gave us 20 minutes to eat. I could put away one and a half 18" thick crust pizza and two large glasses of Pepsi. I weighted 175 pounds. The only one in the group who ever beat me weighed close to 400 pounds. :)

Yeahbut applies. a standard commercial pizza oven holds typically

A lot of places use belt drive ovens these days. They look like early hot air reflow soldering machines.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell