seriously OT: Bill Gates still greedy after all these years.

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com says...

Same here. Oh, OK, it's not a very good platform for developing Unix software, but I've got Linux for that. And I'm retired, so I don't do that anymore, anyway, anyhow :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Angelo Castellano posting wrote:

It depends on what you call "support". The business community did stage a backlash and M$ decided to continue the security updates for Win98. That's all I need for them to do. I've got software and I can check new hardware for compatibility. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Nah. I bought a 2.4ghz box a few months ago and paid a bit extra to get a real P4 (instead of the Celery chip), 512g ram, and XP Pro (so I could try it out).
After screwing around with XP for a while, I put on 98SE and the machine ran faster and better - had a whole lot less footprint on it than that new hog, too.
I already have dedicated apps that do most of the things that XP bundles lamely into the OS. (ps don't believe the guys who tell you it won't run usb 2.0 -- that's a damned lie.)
I use XP Pro at work and it locks up two or three times a day (yeah, its got all the piggy patches). The uptime on my 98SE laptop (running at a gaudy 300mhz) is measured in months.
Tomorrow I take possession of a new laptop, with the groovy Centrino technoboogie stuff, loads of ram, etc.
It's gonna come with XP Home - but that'll get wiped first thing.
(watson - who ran Win95 on that 2.4ghz box for a few days and it was blazin' fast - but too many apps/hardware don't like it - sigh...)
snipped-for-privacy@XXXX.carolina.rr.com says...

.. but it's not just the OS. Depending on the SW he's running, he will also be on the hook for upgrading *that* to XP compatible as well (and no, not all 98 software will run under XP).

*Practically* all will, _if_ you select 'Win98 compatibility mode', in the properties section.
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:30:26 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

The problem is that the more specialized your software and the more dependent you are on it the less likely you are to be able to move it. I have one package it would cost me over $500 to upgrade and all XP says when I try to install it is "No Windows programs on this disk". Compatibility mode is useless because XP just doesn't see the executable as a program. Works fine in 98, so I keep on using 98 for my main work machine.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Capitalism at its finest provides you with the widest possible range of choices in what to buy, from whom you buy, and how much you pay for what you buy. I'm not sure that it's capitalism that's at the heart of your problem.
Why did you choose not to inform yourself until /after/ purchasing a product that doesn't satisfy your requirements?
Have you learned anything that would help you avoid similar mistakes in the future?
Yes, I do love capitalism at its finest - in part because it provides me with alternatives to sources like Microsoft.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Dave...
I've been a systems software cat since the fifties and Microsoft has been a prominent part of my world since the seventies. In all those years I've never once heard an impartial, knowledgable professional praise either Mr. Gates' nor Microsoft's integrity, business ethics or practices, product quality, or concern for delivering fair value for price paid.
What you experienced, and your discovery of Gates'/Microsoft's "corporate greed" is not new, is consistant with past history, and was readily available information. One of the most common complaints made about Microsoft has dealt with exactly the kind of compatibility/support problem you "discovered".
I'm not trying to "dump" on you. Rather, I'm encouraging you to be an informed consumer so that at least the next time you're ready to spend on <whatever>, you'll do what you need to do /in advance/ to ensure getting full value for your hard-earned dollars - especially if it appears that the most readily available product comes from a vendor with a questionable history and ethic.
I hate to beat this point to death; but in a capitalistic system it's important to understand that the consumer bears the responsibility for choosing well. Blaming capitalism for poor choices was an indication that you didn't understand this most important fact. There's even a name for those who don't, can't, or won't understand it. They're called "prey".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

The mouse doesn't require XP, as you've proven. The software requires it.
Logitech's main business is input devices - they'd be SOL if they only supported W2K and higher. Microsoft's is software.
Corporate greed? That's rich coming from you Davey boy. I can just see Bill in his smoking jacket, sipping some Grand Marnier while enjoying an Opus XX, thinking of ways to pad the MS profit margin by limiting optical mice to only those operating systems they continue to support.
And all the while, in the back of his mind, he thinks of you at Costco... fondling the mouse and taking it home, and adding another $10 to the corporate coffers.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

I understand that the mouse is working to some degree (I'd expect basic functions to work with no software installed at all). But I'll clue you in on something. There's lots of programs and drivers from companies other than Microsoft that don't have explicit support for Win98. So, Microsoft isn't forging new territory here. And since Logitech stuff works with Win9x, it looks like capitalism is working just fine, thank you. I'll stop here since I gave up calling people morons for Lent.
todd
WIndows 98? Thats like 6+ years ago!
--
Chris

"todd" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message

Steel woodworking tools are "1,000+ years ago", it doesn't keep us from using them, because they still do the job.
yeah, so?? it works. I don't need a new computer/OS. You are parroting what the marketers want you to think; that yesterday's technology is so obsolete that you MUST upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. I'm not buying into that.
dave
Christopher Pine wrote:

What did it say for System Requirements on the mouse packaging?
Bob
Dave? Read? When you're the center of the universe, you don't have to read anything. Just ask a teenager ... or Dave.

as I already mentioned, on the front of the package it said "PC and Mac". On the side panel in print smaller than I can possibly read without reading glasses, and even then I can barely read it in bright light, it listed several versions of Windoz. I wouldn't expect a mouse to require the latest versions of Windoz.
dave
RWM wrote:

It is amazing to me how people will drop $3000 into "updating" their computers every year ($5000 just a few years ago) and will hesitate and complain in buying a decent solid wood table that is the same price, and will last their lifetimes.

I often wonder this too. I know I spent a lot for my Powermatic 66 ten years ago, almost $2000. If my PM66 was a computer it would be worth about $20 today, if that. New vehicles depreciate very quickly too. I think my furniture has actually increased in value, perhaps more so after I'm dead.