Semi OT-B&D profits way up

Page 2 of 2
That's another reason I like to go to every WWing show I can. When I ask the sales reps questions, I do try to tactfully ask where the machine/widget is made. Somehow I try to relay the fact that I prefer North American made (can't leave out our friends to the north, eh Robin?) products over Chinwanese. I don't mean to slight anyone or any country at all, I just want to see people working again.
I agree with Robin, it's us the consumers who keep demanding lower prices. And it's also us, the shareholders who demand higher stock prices. But hopefully not everyone makes their buying decisions based solely on price.
Robin Lee wrote:

Mark Mark writes:

Certainly not everyone, but the last time I was in WalMart here in P'burg, I counted 6 Cadillacs, 3 Mercedes and a Ferrari in just 3 parking lines.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
The Ferrari was probably the store manager using his yearly bonus......
Charlie Self wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

In state license plates? <g>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde asks:

We're on the Ohio River, so it was mixed. I seem to recall about 2/3 WV, the rest Ohio. The Ferrari was WV, and it wasn't the store manager--he'd get fired for parking that close to the store.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
C'mon, you only see that kind of luxury in the _handicapped_ spaces. Up here you see Suburbans and Expeditions, or yesterday, a Hummer.

the
fired
George responds:

Huh? What does handicapped have to do with it?
Also, not so. None were in handicapped spaces.
Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton

You must have been looking at the staff parking area :-)
--
Jon Down

P'burg,
I'm not sure what the median income is in the US, but for WalMart shoppers it is $50k+. They don't locate the stores in poor neighborhoods.
Of course it is possible that ALL the residents of Parkersburg drive that type of car. ;) Ed

I happen to know a good number of folks from Parkersburg (and am related to a number also). Only one of those drive one of the listed cars (mom and her caddy) and she refuses to shop at Walmart - too big for her.
Dave Hall
Dave Hall responds:

The point was not that P'burg has so many expensive cars--it has plenty of all kinds--but that it surprised me to see a discount merchandiser gets its customers from such an upscale area in such large numbers.
I'd guess that most Walmarts show the same scatter of high end weeeeeeeehicles. But I think it was probably the Ferrari that surprised me most, even though it was almost old enough to be an antique (and probably worth more than the day it was born). Targa, 1987? Not at all sure of that.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce

Check out the BigLots parking lot some day (there is one in Marietta, don't know about P'burg). Also Gabriel's and Thrift stores. There often are reasons why these folks can drive Caddy's and such other than large salaries. Mom and Dad were both school teachers in an area (and an era) that paid such folks poorly and yet mom drives that Caddy now and we do have to worry about the estate tax. One reason is because they didn't shop at the high price stores and saved their money - a trait of that generation specifically and many middle class folks in smaller town areas. Mom still doesn't understand why you would use a paper towel to wipe up a spill when the dish cloth is right there on the sink and is "free" :) and I doubt that she considers WalMart a "discount" retailer, she would save that description for the BigLots and Gabriels of the world.
Dave Hall
Dave Hall writes:

Well, Parkersburg has both Big Lots and Gabriels. I checked out Gabriels a couple years ago. Enough was more than sufficient. Lotsa junk. Big Lots screws up and gets some half decent stuff from time to time (great for shop stereo systems). Now, if they'd just ditch tht J. VanDyke ad series...
Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton
Ed Pawlowski responds:

Never been to WV, have you?
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
With B&D this is kinda expected, as they're not a high end line. i.e. Folks buying B&D are more likely than not, looking at price first. WIth Delta, I repeat my query of why they'd want to move operations to a country with an established reputation (at the moment, anyway) for producing cheap crap.
Renata

Delta may be moving to Taiwan because Taiwan is producing good quality equipment. Remember, it is the company having the equipment manufactured that dictates quality. Today Jet gives Delta a good run for its money and the American built Delta Unisaws seem to not hold up as well in shipping as to the imports.
Renata states:

Dewalt.
Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton
Based on personal experience w/ just a few (I didn't buy more based on said experience) of their tools, I'd lump DeWalt as a smidge better 'n B&D.
Latest - DeWalt/Emglo oiled compressor. http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID)52 Both couplers don't hold in the air (i.e. when I detatch the hose, all the air comes rushing out). Less than a year old, had one time of use - when I built a 50' fence. Very occassional since then. This is a typical experience - some little nitpicking thing breaks, but it's a critical element to the tool.
And, the fact that they bought out Elu (Swiss), doesn't make thier Elu replacements the same quality as the original.
So, yeah, I can see the high quality coming out of Taiwan.
They had good ideas, but their execution of those ideas is lacking.
Renata
On 22 Apr 2004 15:19:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

B&D is the parent company of a number of brands, including some damn fine formerly Swiss.