Semi-gloat, shaves and scrapers

Two Stanley 151 spokeshaves, one Sweetheart, the other new One No 60 spokeshave, Sweetheart One No. 80 card scraper, no blade, dated 6-2-14 One No. 82 scraper, no blade One No 66, Feb 9.86, no blade or fence

All for 25 bucks. Someone found a box in his attic.

sam

You semi-suck.

Nice score. For $25, I'd be calling it a full gloat.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Oh yeah, that was my box! I'm gonna need that back; thanks.

Reply to
Steve Turner

You took advantage of my poor sick grandfather. That box was my inheritance. If you send it to me, I will make sure that he sends you a check for the amount you paid.

Nice job

Allen

Reply to
allen476

Good buy. With all the bucks you saved, you can buy some Hock replacement blades. One of the guys in our hand tool group bought a set of new-made cutters for the 66 from either LV or LN a couple months ago.

Reply to
Roy

blades. One of the guys

LV or LN a couple

I have thought about buying Hock blades, especially for my finish plane, but I'm also kind of vain about my ability to sharpen anything with a wet stone and a leather strop with a little compound. I add a little wax to the sole of my plane and I'm good to go with the Stanley blades.

sam

blades. One of the guys

either LV or LN a couple

I've got a small Hock that came with a chisel plane kit one of the guys in the hand tool group gave me. Tiny as it is, it is an impressive piece of steel. I scarey sharpened it to 1500 grit.

A couple guys in our group have noted improvements when switching to Hock blades from the standard Stanley's. I never thought to ask if they got $30-50 worth of improvement from the upgrade. If it solved a chatter issue, I'm sure they sure did.

My #80 (scraper, Jeff) came with a piece of saw blade for the scraper, and I think it is a little too soft. I recently bought a #12, (a bigger scraper, Jeff) with no blade, so decided to order a Hock from these folks before the sale ends this month. I've never dealt with them before, so we will see how it goes.

Roy

blades. One of the guys

either LV or LN a couple

hand tool group gave

to 1500 grit.

blades from the standard

from the upgrade. If it

think it is a little

decided to order a

them before, so we

With the new (old) 80 card scraper and new (old) 82 scraper, I had planned to take my hand card scraper from Rocker ($7.98 I think; it's probably 4" by 7") and cut 1/3 of it for the

82 and keep the other 2/3 for the 80 card scraper. Maybe I'm too cheap. s
Reply to
sam

blades. One of the guys

either LV or LN a couple

the hand tool group gave

it to 1500 grit.

blades from the standard

from the upgrade. If it

think it is a little

so decided to order a

them before, so we

Card scraper may not be thick enough for the 82.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

replacement blades. One of the guys

either LV or LN a couple

the hand tool group gave

it to 1500 grit.

blades from the standard

from the upgrade. If it

I think it is a little

so decided to order a

with them before, so we

Can't hurt to try, I guess. I hadn't planned to have the blade too far outside the jaws of the 82.

sam

blades. One of the guys

either LV or LN a couple

the hand tool group gave

it to 1500 grit.

blades from the standard

from the upgrade. If it

think it is a little

so decided to order a

them before, so we

My curiosity now being aroused forced me to slip out to the shop and measure some blades. The 80 blade is about 0.055" thick. The blade on the 81 came in at 0.042", which is exactly 1mm. I checked one of my Disston's and it measured 0.031 or 1/32". Hock blades are listed as 1/16 or

0.062. My LV curved scrapers are 0,021 (0.5mm), and my LV cabinet scraper is 0.031. I have an 82, but no cutter for it, but guess 0.030 - 0.040 would be right compared to the others.

I checked Leonard Lee's book which said earlier scraper blades (for the 80 and

81) had typical hardness and thicknesses of saw blades, since they were made from the same stock. These must have been two man saws to be 0.055" thick. He listed typical hardness as 38-42 Rockwell for the older blades with newer scrapers being in the 48-52 range.

The only drawback to using thinner stock that comes to mind is perhaps some chatter. Let us know how your experiment with the thin card scraper comes out. Worst case is that you now have a small hand scraper for getting into tight corners.

Roy

Reply to
Roy