Re: Semi Gloat

I found a DeWalt 610 router at a flea market and bought it for $10

> bucks...got it home, the straight bit was stuck in the collet and the > height > adjustment was stuck...WD40 it...got the bit unstuck and all parts move > now...it needs a new cord, has electrical tape near the base...frayed > wires > there ( still comes on tho )...how hard is it for me to put a new cord on? > I > got a price from the local Dewalt dealer/repair person of > $35.00....ouch...not much of a gloat if that is what it costs....thanks > for > the help.... > > Tina >

Typically replacing an electrical cord is not that difficult. Remove the cord and its connectors, if it has any, and take them to your local hardware store. They should be able to fix you up with a replacement cord and the appropriate connectors for much less than $35. I'd imagine in the $10 range.

Reply to
Leon

Another tip: Often you will find that a six or eight foot "pigtail" ( a length of cable with a molded male connector on one end, which is what you need) will cost -more- than a 25' extension cord in the next bin. Buy the extension cord and cut to size.

OTOH, the OP says the wires are frayed at router end. If the cord is otherwise good, cut the bad end off and reconnect it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Not a difficult job, but depending on the type of strain relief used, you may have to buy the replacement cord from Dewalt.

Manufacturers are required to have strain relief (that is the cord must be able to take a certain amount of pull without separating from the motor housing). Some are simply restrictive mechanical clamps. Others are molded into the cord and fit into a recess in the motor housing. If molded, to do it right you need that cord. If clamped, you can get by with a cord of the same approximate size which will cost less.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Problem with this is that extension cords are usually covered in stiff vinyl. I don't know about this particular router but factory cords are often rubber and flexible.

Good solution.

Reply to
CW

LOL... Correct, now days. Do you remember the old B&D stuff from the 70's? The cords on the tools were sooooo stiff that you would go through a work out trying to stuff the cord in the tools case. Those cords make a typical extension cord look pretty limp.

Reply to
Leon

We have an old B&D drill at work. Still works fine. It lives in a drawer with the cord loosely piled on top of it.

Reply to
CW

I call it a good gloat, as far as the cord that is actually easy to replace. Like has been said you can get it from your local hardware store ACE / HD / Lowes what ever you have. I have replace many cords at work it's surprising what people will do sometimes.. Anyway IMHO this is a good buy and an easy fix good Job!

Al

Reply to
Al

Wasn't that also the time period when they were putting cords on tools that were about 3 to 6 inches long? You had to have an extension cord to even use the silly things on a bench.

Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do I! What a PITA. In contrast my new Skil saw came with a 25ft cord.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Reply to
Norbert