Drilling dowel ends

What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in the end of a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle? I want the holes to be in the exact center so I can use them as rollers. I am new to woodworking and I'm sure there must be a trick to this.

anyone? ~Tom aka Gizmofiddler..

Reply to
Gizmofiddler

| What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in | the end of a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle? I want the | holes to be in the exact center so I can use them as rollers. | I am new to woodworking and I'm sure there must be a trick to this. | | anyone?

The easy way is to feed the roller through the headstock of a lathe and clamp it in a 3-jaw chuck, mount a drill in a drill chuck in the tailstock, and feed the non-rotating drill bit into the rotating roller.

Morris Dovey

Gizmofiddler wrote: > What are some techniques to precisely bore a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in the end of > a 3/4" section of a hardwood mop handle?

A lathe.

More specifically, a metal, not a wood working lathe.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

  1. Secure a piece of wood to the DP table
  2. Drill a 3/4 hole in it
  3. Replace the 3/4 bit with the 1/4 or 1/2
  4. Put your mop handle section in the 3/4 hole
  5. Drill

IMO, you would do better with rollers greater in diameter...1 1/2 PVC pipe works well, just cut a plywood plug to fit each end. The holes in the plywood ends can be bushed with pieces of copper pipe but it isn't necessary.

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
Frank Arthur

Make a drill jig: A variation on "dadiOH"'s really good idea is to fasten a thick piece of hardwood onto the drill press table. Then drill a 3/4" diameter hole about half way into the thickness of the hardwood. Without moving the table position, replace with 1/4" or 1/2" hole and drill thru. Now unfasten the hardwood piece and place it on the 3/4" dowel to use as a drill jig. Use the smaller diameter hole as a guide to drill the smaller hole into the drill jig.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

I bought some and they work quite well.

Upscale