Seeking Random orbital sander

I was shopping for a ROS and visited the local Sears store. They had several available. There was a Porter Cable (2.2 A), Dewalt (2 A) and the Craftsman (3 A and 3.2 A). I'm very temmpted by the more powerful Craftsman and wondered if anyone here has opinions of the different tools.

My level of woodwork makes the 6" ROS seem pretty pricy.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Dick I have owned the PC 5 inch and 6 inch right angle, the Bosch 5 inch and the Dewalt 5 inch. Overall, it is the sander used the most. I prefer the Dewalt over the PC but I would buy either before I bought the Craftsman. The Bosch was not as pleasing to use but was more powerful. I would recommend the velcro over PSA very strongly. The velcro is a better quicker less messy system and the holes allow for vacuum pick up. If money were no issue I would get the Fein. max

Reply to
max

I have a PC and a DeWalt. I think the PC is built a little better, but I use the DeWalt more because it is more comfortable to hold (for me, YMMV) The more powerful does not always translate to better.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'v owned 2 Makitas that I have liked very well. The Bosch I disliked only because I found that *I* do not care for a D-handle.

Based on my experience with the Bosch, my bet is that a 6" is a better second sander than 1st. A 5" palm is mush easier to handle when you are not sanding a large horizontal surface. I have used my 5" palm in such crazy places as up an extension ladder to clean up some peeling exterior trim.

If you ever want/need to use it one-handed, you want a 5. If you already have a 5 and want to speed up sanding of large areas, get a 6.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

Reply to
Jim Behning

If $$ is no issue, and you want electric, then buy the Fein. If you want the best and fastest and your time is worth some- thing to you, then get the top-of-the-line Dynabrade. The Dynabrade is one purchase I will never regret. Soooo much faster than my 5" P.C. ROS.

-Rick

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

I like Porter Cable or Makita for sanders. Amperage is not all that important as other things, like comfort, construction, how the sandpaper is fastened, length of cord, good dust collection, etc.

Reply to
Phisherman