TiteBond III through a planer

I have glued up a surface and need to plane it. Does anybody know if I need to use a hand scraper or hand plane to clear the little glue globs before I run it through my DeWalt Portable planer? I'd rather sharpen a plane blade than replace a set of planer knives.

BTW The surface is Maple and Padduck. Using it for a tray on my boat. Boats usually use a combination of teak and holly for the cabin soles. I wanted something a little different.

Reply to
Dustmaker

I always scrape off what I can, but I have run TB III through the planer OK.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Scrape it off first. No sense in wearing the blades unnecessarily.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Probably not any worse than TBII.. But be careful if you sand the two as the Padauk will bleed over to the Maple.

Reply to
Leon

Scrape it off. If it is just the occasional drips and ribbons, a sharp wood chisel and a light hand take care of it quickly.

Reply to
RonB

Definately try to remove it first. I use a scraper usually. If I knew I was going to run it through a planer after glue up, I would just wipe away the squeezed out glue with a wet sponge while it was still wet.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Padauk will bleed over to the Maple.

Leon,

Please splain.

Reply to
Rumpty

Humor. Irony. Unexpected blending of incompatible concepts. ("I wish I'd have thought of that.")

I didn't have to clean my monitor when I read it, but I did quickly move my hand over my mouth. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Sanding produces scratches in the wood. Also it produces dust. The dust from the Padauk will get embedded in the Maple. A scraper or hand plane help to prevent this.

Reply to
Leon