Sears 14 inch bandsaw on closeout, 428 bucks.

Page 1 of 2
Was in Sears today and happened to notice that they have their 14 inch band saw on closeout for 428 bucks, marked "discontinued". The store I was in had two floor models and one boxed. For that price this is a really nice saw. Only thing it lacks that I would want is a tension release and there's no obvious way to add one. And yes, I do have one and have had it for over a year.
Note that there also appears to be a ten percent mail-in rebate on the Sears site--that would take the price to under 400.
--John

and I take the tension off every time I quit using the saw. It is much cheaper than the tension release lever and I think it is less of a Rube Golderg arrangement anyway.
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 02:15:26 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"

I did the same. Made a wooden crank from a chunk of pallet wood, screw, and washer. No modifications to the saw required. It was almost free or get a $150 lever attachment accessory add-on kit.
For $400 better quality used can be found, maybe a Jet, Delta, Powermatic, possibly a Laguna or General, if you keep looking in local classified ads.

You know the Rigid BS is in that price range and it sure looks a lot like my Jet.
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Yeah, I looked at the Ridgid when I got mine. Even at the then price on the Sears with no discounts by the time I had an equivalent saw I'd have been out more money with the Ridgid.
--John

Best of luck. I stopped buying any corded tool from Sears many years ago. I had a Craftman drill, skilsaw, and jigsaw that needed parts but instead were trashed. Guess what parts were available.... things like the cord and a chuck. They don't want you to fix them, they want you to buy new ones.
Cheers, Jim
Jim2009 wrote:

Had no problems getting parts for any Sears tool I have. But I don't have any Craftsman portable tools except an angle grinder.
--John

except wrenches and sockets. Sears always has to put their own twist on things or there better idea . When it comes to Sears tools if it's electric it will break if it's gas don't worry it wont start. Sears needs to get back to their roots quality product and a decent price. I have some old craftsman's power tools 35+ years they just don't stop going.
Sac Dave wrote:

Look, I didn't intend to start a pissing contest about how lousy Sears is. I was walking through the store and saw a price that I consider to be very attractive on something I paid more for and found to be completely satisfactory and mentioned it in case anybody might want one.
This brainless sears bashing is as tiresome as Mac and Linux advocacy.
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote

But I did see an interesting tagline on another group. It went something like this, "If Macs are so good, why don't they run linux?" I am certain that will enrage some folks.
It reminds me of that vegetarian joke. If God did not intend for us to eat meat, he would not have made it taste so good.
Lee Michaels wrote:

For some reason I am put in mind of the bumper sticker I once saw: "NUKE the unborn gay whales."
--John
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:57:58 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

Since both Linux and Mac O/Ss are derived from Unix, they are in essence both running the same thing :-).
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Just being pedantic but OS/X is derived from BSD which was derived from AT&T source but has since been sanitized of that. Linux was always a clone with no AT&T code.
--John

Pedantic you are - the point was they are not MS so therefore it works.

Vegetables is what food eats.
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:12:33 -0500, "J. Clarke"

But you'll find quality power tools using a PC, Linux box, or even a Mac to shop online, but not at Sears.
Phisherman wrote:

Do I need to bring the goat in here?
--John

Sure. We'll roast almost anything.

I'm not going to put a blanket bash on Sears/Craftsman, but I don't buy their mechanics tools anymore. The wrenches are not accurate and the metal is not hard enough. I know this from experience. For sockets etc, I don't mind them, but I'm constantly getting ratchets replaced. I recently got two slot screwdrivers replaced because the blade deforned (twisted) when I tried to remove a stubborn screw. I grabbed on of those cheap "checkout line" multiple bit screwdrivers and easily got the screw out without any visible effect on the tool. That's just sad.
I actually do a lot more mechanic work than woodworking (non- professional), but I am phasing out all of my Craftsman stuff.
I guess I ended up bashing after all, but this is from my own experience, and it's justified. What really galls me now is that they've added a new "professional series" of mechanics tools. When I was a teenager, the everyday Craftsman wrenches were top quality and there was no need for the "deluxe" series. Sigh.
Tom