sealing MDF, a revisit

Hello Group, I did a google search on this subject and most of the reasons were to lock in the vapors. I want to use a very heavy (1&1/2 inch thich) former computer lab desk for my router table. I have routed the cutout for the insert but I'm reluctant to set the insert in without treating the raw material. Do you think there is any chance the MDF could swell when polyurethane is applied? (Also, if that were a problem, I suppose I should avoid aqueous polyurethane.) My insert fits very nicely right now (minimal tolernces) but I'm concerned that it might become a problem if coated. Any comments? Thanks in advance,

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

ok, we have 1.5" of MDF and you are wondering if a layer of poly about the thickness of paper is going to make the whole panel of MDF swell?? I don't THINK SO!

Dave

Reply to
David

thickness of paper is going to make the whole panel of MDF swell?? I don't THINK SO!

I think the OP was asking whether sealant on the cutout section would swell the MDF enough to affect the fit of the insert. In response to that, I doubt that the amount of moisture in sealant would cause enough swelling to cause problems with your insert, but I know MDF does swell when wet, so I'd use a couple very thin layers of something oil-based that polymerizes to seal and protect from water. Of course if you have any scrap you could measure it with a caliper or micrometer and test a few different finishes - let us know how that turns out. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

you're probably fine. even if the edge does swell a little from water poly it'll stop as soon as it dries, and if the swelling is enough to affect accuracy it will be easy to sand it back to size.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

A coat of two of poly won't swell it, but they will reduce the tolerances. Are you sealing it for vapor? If so, that seems kind of anal to me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hey All, No, I am not trying to seal in any chemical vapors. The entire sheet has some type of very hard and slippery material (melanminre? ) top and bootom. I want to seal the machined area to minimize material fragmentation due to use. The recess I machined was a perfect fit for my router lifter, and I anticipated that within several hundred hours of operation that the metal (anodized aluminum) to MDF junction would become sloppy from vibration if I did not seal the MDF. However, since I never worked with MDF before, I was curious if the small region that is sealed would swell, thus making my now perfect fit, not perfect. As I type this I am thinking that even the polyurethane may erode after hours of vibration so maybe I'll just go with the untreated recess and see when if it needs any attention in the future. By the way, the router lifter does have leveling and tensioning adjustments, but the recess is sized perfectly for height, with a minor amount of "slop" for lateral adjustments.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

The core of my router table is MDF and I've had no change in size in the lift opening due to vibration in 4 years of usage. You MIGHT be overthinking this a bit, Marc. :)

dave

Reply to
David

Same here, and it's in a basement.