Sealer or Varnish for covering smells?

What is best for sealing in/covering up the smell of cat urine in wood? I'm told that either sealer or varnish are best. But there are many diiferent types to choose from at the store. Does anyone have suggestions on what might be best? Obviously, the wood in question can't be replaced. The only option is to try to cover or seal in the smell.
Try a few coats of shellac. Tom
Have done this with sanding sealer to cover up smell of curry powder in an old cupboard- worked a treat

If memory serves topic has been discussed in alt.home.repair and several have suggested a product from a per store. One for cats and another for dogs. Forgot the name, google would find it.
Ledz wrote:

One thing about those odor removers, is that they usually require the part to be soaked for hours, or even days while the bacterial action that removes the smell takes place. By soaking, I mean placing something like a damp towel over the treated spot. This may not work too well for wood, depending on what the wood is for. If its something that shows, it might affect the wood with swelling, cracking (after drying), etc.
OTOH, if its something like a floor thats going to be covered, then the above suggestions, or even KILZ will work.
John
On 10 Oct 2005 07:40:33 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

I've used plain old shellac and polyurethane for pet stains on woodwork with perfect results.
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:22:13 -0700, littleboyblu87 wrote:

Yuck. Before you try any of the other suggestions, get some "Pet Odor Eliminator" at the pet store. Active ingredient is urease. You want to get rid of as much of the urine as you can before you try to cover it up. You heard the song "The Cat Came Back?" Yeah, like that.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

I wonder if an ozone generator would take care of that... Also, next time, make sure the cat is already dead before using it as a push stick. They scare easily around machinery, hence the stain. In the off chance you're not already using the cat as a push stick, now might be the time. <eg>

Shellac might do it. Have you tried wash most of it out with hot water and soap, too?
I Googled this one: http://www.justrite.com/123kit.htm (standard disclaimer applies)
--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE --------------------------------------------------------------- - http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -