TEA AND KOOLAID

As some of you know, I used tea for stain before. Worked out quite nicely too. The last few days I've been redoing a rifle stock, using a tea stain. Two bags, brewed down to about a quarter of a cup. Been doing nicely, except taking longer than I wanted to get as dark as I wanted. Each coat would only darken a bit, but it didn't take a huge amount of time for them to try. So, tried a bit of latex paint in the tea. No, not yellow. Red. Tried it on a piece of scrap wood first, and no, it wasn't anywhere near what I was after. Might look OK for something else tho.

So, brewed up another batch of tea, 20 minutes this time. Ah, went on a bit darker. But, still not as dark as I was after. So, looked for some food coloring. Apparently, I'd already used all of that in vegetable oil, for finishing. Which worked quite well, thank you - I've got a rocking chair, finished 6-7 years go with vegetable oil, that the finish has held up quite well. However, I did find some unsweetened Koolaid, cherry flavor. "Oh no", you cry, "he didn't actually put Koolaid in that tea, and then put it on that stock". You better believe it, Bunky.

A test on scrap came out looking great, as I was sure it would - actually it looked even better than I'd expected. The first coat on the stock darkened it more than just the straight tea had. Gave it a slight, very nice, reddish cast. It looked so good with the second coat, I decided to leave well enough alone. It's got a nice, slightly reddish, color, which should look even better once I put a finish on. I'm just waiting overnight for the last coat to dry.

Possibly, it would have looked even better if I'd used black cherry, but once I got past the lemonade flavor, and found the cherry, I never even thought about looking firther. Anyway, I'm satisfied with it as is.

I'm pondering now whether to get the paste wax from the shop tomorrow, it's rainy just now, and supposed to rain more tomorrow, Or, stay in, and use vegetable (cooking) oil for the finish.

Once I get the final finish on, and get it back together again, I'll take a picture. I've got a web page recording what I've done, and I'll put it up there, then post the link later.

Damn. I just thought. What I should have done, was ask here first, if the Koolaid would work. That probably would have generated a nice lengthy thread. LMAO

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

.

You might try a nice strong brew of coffee. A friend of mine used that some years ago, and it seemed to work quite well. I don't recall, if I ever knew, just how many passes he had to make, but the coffee I remember was strong enough you wouldn't have wanted to drink it.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wine ... a good, full bodied, California red works very well and you enjoy finishing much more.

Reply to
Swingman

Mon, Oct 10, 2005, 2:11am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Charlie=A0Self) did speakth: You might try a nice strong brew of coffee. A friend of mine used that some years ago, and it seemed to work quite well. I don't recall, if I ever knew, just how many passes he had to make, but the coffee I remember was strong enough you wouldn't have wanted to drink it.

Nope, tried that some time back. By the time I got it to where it had enough coats to look good, turned out it took way too long to dry. Checked my test piece a few weeks later, the last test still wasn't totally dry. The tea might not go on as dark, but it dries enough in an hour or so to put on another coat - the coffee had to dry considerably longer. The stock dried enough overnight to put on the finish. Coffee, as a stain, does look good, but the drying time is too much of a PITA for me. Eventually, I may try coffee stain again some time, but I kinda doubt it.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fren

Reply to
J T

Mon, Oct 10, 2005, 6:34am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) did sayeth: Wine ... a good, full bodied, California red works very well and you enjoy finishing much more.

I take it you start the drinking first, and then call the spillage "stain"?

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fren

Reply to
J T

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:34:35 -0500, "Swingman" scribbled:

Nope. Colour bleaches out eventually. Not even with "teinturier" (stainer) grapes. Better to drink the stuff or put it in the vinegar barrel. DAMHIKT.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Nope ... as in all things to do with finishing, _application_ is the most important step. Drink the wine, then pee on the piece, repeatedly, for that for the real polyurinestain effect.

Reply to
Swingman

if you are just wanting to get it darker, consider iron and vinegar. man does that stuff work.

if you're wanting to get it red, consider artist's oils on linseed. any color you want, as dark as you want.

Reply to
bridger

Mon, Oct 10, 2005, 3:06pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) did instruct us: Nope ... as in all things to do with finishing, _application_ is the most important step. Drink the wine, then pee on the piece, repeatedly, for that for the real polyurinestain effect.

OK, just let us know if you're going to suppy the wine, or if it's BYOB. Then we'll set a date, everyone will meet at your place, get drunk, and pee on your furniture.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fren

Reply to
J T

Mon, Oct 10, 2005, 2:48pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@all.costs doth say: if you are just wanting to get it darker, consider iron and vinegar. man does that stuff work. if you're wanting to get it red, consider artist's oils on linseed. any color you want, as dark as you want.

Iron and vinegar, too messy. Wrong color anyway.

No, oils and linseed wouldn't give the effect I wanted, and need something nasty to clean up anyway.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fren

Reply to
J T

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:06:09 -0500, "Swingman" scribbled:

I stand corrected, let's go pee on JOAT's gun stock. The polyurinestain should piss off Larry too.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Mon, Oct 10, 2005, 10:21pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@nonet.ca (Luigi=A0Zanasi) doth burble: I stand corrected, let's go pee on JOAT's gun stock. The polyurinestain should piss off Larry too.

Did I mention my chainsaw? With the dull chain? I also got a good deal on a bolt cutter awhile back.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fren

Reply to
J T

If you've got poly in your urine, you need to go see a doctor right away, and consider wearing a respirator when you finish.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's mostly more better to wear a respirator _before_ you visit the doctor.

Reply to
Swingman

or when you pee... : )

Reply to