Scratchless Router base

what do you put on your router base when working with formaica? I just did some inlay work and the surface has received a few minor scratches (unremovable, I guess). Thx...

Wax.
Barry

Masking tape
there is a new air glide base that rockler is sell that sounds like what you are looking for.
Len

I have an auxilliary base I made out of 1/4 plywood, taking care to recess the screws sufficiently and sand/wax it smooth.
One thing to do: Remove the mounting screws for your base and flatten the tops on your bench stone or a file. In my case, bumps on the screws were the primary culprit for scratches - especially if the phillips screwdriver has ever slipped.
Two ways to solve that come to mind: masking tape or sand it smooth and coat with wax.
David
Max63 wrote:

Go to your local solid surface fabricator, have him give you a sink-cut-out made out of acrylic 1/2" thick and make a router base out of it. The stuff cuts on a table saw without causing any damage to your blade. It is no more agressive than particle board with melamine....in fact, less so 'cuz melamine is a bitch on blades. Keep the edges of the base sharp so that small sharp things can't ride under the base as you move it. (works like a small snow shovel) Then spray with Bostik TopCoat.
When I make a base like that, I always make one dimension 1/32 narrower. That way, I make a pass to clean up an edge on a panel, rotate the base 90 degrees and make a fine climb-cutting clean-up pass. I do this a lot when edgebanding panels.

Woops...that was from the NEW ME!! Robatoy has taken over sandman's body. Now there is only one sandman..and it isn't me........I don't think it is...is it?? All confuddled now.

You see... I was on my laptop..and I hadn't changed this one yet...Doc says I'll be back on solid food soon...
Robatoy (formerly knows as sandman)
Max63 wrote:

to adhere laminate to the router and trimmer bases. this eliminated scratches and made the machines glide more easily over the tops. John