Scratches and Dents out of pine

I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine? Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.
Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?
Harry
Many dents can be removed by steaming, but scratches won't come out without leveling the surface (planing, sanding, or filling).
Dave
Harry Everhart wrote:

David is correct, but most dents leave visible traces in the form of compressed grain or broken fiber at the edges as well.
Wish there were a better answer.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:02:32 -0400, Harry Everhart

A surface planer or wide belt sander will remove scratches. Dents can be removed by steaming the dented area. I use the tip of an old iron and a damp rag to remove dents. Steaming won't remove scratches.
Phisherman wrote:

Yes, though I have had good luck just sponging water on the dent and waiting for it to swell up on its own.

True however in soft wood most scratches are a combination of torn wood and compressed wood. Wetting the scratches and letting the compressed wood swell back will minimize how much of the surface must be removed.
Depending on species and the individual piece pine can have a pretty 'busy' figure so that repairs like that are minimally noticeable. Eastern Aromatic Red Cedar is especially good in that regard.
--

FF

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:02:32 -0400, Harry Everhart

I once spent the better part of an afternoon sanding a project with progressively finer grits to obtain a perfect surface for finishing. When the project was delivered to the friend who was doing her own finishing, she proceeded to bang it up with chains and bent nails to make it looked "antiqued". Just a thought, (I have thoughts all the time ... just seldom have good ones)
Lenny