Sawdust & Soap Jugs

I use liquid soap for clothes washing, and hate to just discard the jubs. I mean, something that neat, and obviously useful for something, just hard to figure out what. Do keep one or two in the vhicle, filled with water, for just in case. Which was a lifesaver when one of the radiator hoses split awhile back. Saved me the cost of a tow, allowing me to get to a station with a water hose. The split then worsened, but by then I was at an auto parts store and able to buy new hoses, and changed the bad one in the parking lot. The jug of water then allowed me to get home.

However, I've been trying to come up with more uses. It's kinda hard. Sawdust is very handy in winter for traction, so decided to fill some with sawdust. The spout is a PITA for filling tho. Took la bit to figure how to get around that. The final solurion is cut 'em out. Just take a pocket knife, stick it down and cut the spout out, took me about 30 seconds with the first one. So now I'll fill a couple with sawdust, and stick 'em in the back of the El Camino. My drive is on a slight slope coming in, and on one going out. It's uphill either way. LOL Sometimes it's a bit more than I can overcome to get out, I can pull off the pavement and zip UP the drive, no prob. But just one or two handfulls of sawdust, applied judiciously, will give me enought traction to make it ovr the crest, then it's all downhill to the pavement. I'll fill a few up for the sons too;. A partial solving of two problems at once.

For those people that don't recycle, and just toss those neat jugs, you can fill them with sadust before you toss them.

JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Reply to
J T

JT if your talking about laundry bottles, the spout should just pop out. Take your knife or screwdriver and run it down between the clear spout and the side of the neck in the bottle and it will come out. There not glued in or welded in the bottle.

Reply to
Dale Miller

Sun, Dec 23, 2007, 1:58pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@twlakes.net (Dale=A0Miller) doth claimeth: JT if your talking about laundry bottles, the spout should just pop out. Take your knife or screwdriver and run it down between the clear spout and the side of the neck in the bottle and it will come out. There not glued in or welded in the bottle.

That is indeed what I'm talking about. I did try your method. it ain't that easy. The one I finally got out actully tore a couple of small holes in the neck of the jug itself, like it had been spot welded. It did NOT pop right out. Then after all that struggle, I realized that the cap screws into the insert. So, besides being much faster and easier to cut the bottom of the spout insert out, it provides the threads to hold the cap on. At least it's that way on the 3 brands I tried. Did you actually take one out?

JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

Reply to
J T

Since I've never experienced ice in coastal Georgia (all level ground by the way) I'm thinking of making sawdust filled termite feeders out of the jugs after sawing little doors along the bottoms. Perhaps this will prevent them from eating all my pukey wooden yard ducks? Merry Christmas... hope ya'll get some good books!

Reply to
bookman

bookman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Nope, population is related to food supply. If you provide more food, they'll provide more population.

Take heart, at least someone who lives on your property likes you work! (Disclaimer: This is an attempt at humour. Please interpret it that way.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

J T wrote: > That is indeed what I'm talking about. I did try your method. it

Well the ones I have used and pulled out are the one that have the threads on the outside of the neck of the bottle..

Reply to
Dale Miller