Sawblade Question

Page 2 of 3
George Cawthon writes:

No, but in general, the sawmills around here don't cut the boards to length. They cut the LOGS to rough length with a chainsaw.
What is a buzz saw used for? You say it crosscuts. I've been hearing about "buzz" saws my whole life and have yet to see any saw identified as such...or for that matter find any kind of ID of such a saw in a wood or woodworking source. Woodweb has one reference to a guy cutting 16" slabs with a "buzz" saw.
I used to buy firewood from a sawmill in upstate NY where the owner cut wood to length on a 30" blade, though at that point in my life, I didn't know enough to check what tip grind and other features that saw had. You might call that a buzz saw. I'd call it a portable crosscut saw, with one helluva long support table to the left.
Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

referencing this thread. Any of these general types were called buzz saws, and were used primarily for cross cutting wood into stove/furnace length before chainsaws came into general use. In those days felling was done with ax and 2 man crosscut saws, "limbing" with an ax, and logs to length with the 2 man crosscut. Limbs were then cut for firewood with the buzz saw, logs brought to manageable size with wedge and sledgehammer, then cut to length with the buzz saw.
The buzz saw was one dangerous piece of machinery!(DAMHIKT)
--
Nahmie
Charlie Self wrote:

A neighbor had one back in the 1970's. It was powered by a wide leather belt from his Ford tractor. (For the terminally curious he had a PTO-to-pulley attachment, the only one I've ever seen.) It cut logs into fireplace length extremely efficiently but that huge, exposed spinning blade scared the snot out of me. I opted for jobs that kept me at least 10' away from the blade & belt.
-- Mark

salvage job. The circular blade must have been at least 40" if not bigger. It had a clampon file guide for sharpening. The file was at least 18" long.
It ran off a rubber belt from a PTO wheel off the side of our old International Harvester tractor. It had a front end loader on it and he could pick the whole thing up and drive to the neighbors with it. We could cut up logs for firewood much faster than using a chainsaw. He would either accept cash for his services or a percentage of the wood. The logs would have to be cut down, yarded and limbed first.

These were common for Ford tractors where the owner needed belt power. Unbolt the PTO, bolt on the combo unit. This was also the method used by IH "A" and "C" series tractors, although I believe they came with it "stock". Uncle had one of those saws that mounted on the rear of the "Super A", and then on the "Super C" when he got the larger tractor.
You're right, close to this was NOT where I preferred to work, but I was exposed to it in the early '50's, long before OSHA became *God*. When OSHA happened, I know many farmers who, the first time they had to replace *that* belt or make *that* adjustment, the OSHA specified safety guard made it's way to the scrap pile.
--
Nahmie
On 25 Nov 2004 23:38:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

that was all that came to mind when I pictured a 3 foot high saw blade... like those old mills in the ghost towns..
jbeck wrote:

Try a google search for "industrial sawmill cut off saw". This should get you started.
http://www.forestindustry.com/sector/sawmill_panel/a-z_categories/circular_saws.html

Thank you very much for the link. Those key words seem to be bringing up what I was looking for. Well know after I've had a chance to look through. Thanks again!
Blades like this are generally custom or semi custom made. The best thing to do is talk to manufactures. They have engineers that will fit a blade to your requirements.

Thanks for the information. Am really trying to find something that is 'off the shelf'. Heck, so far haven't had much luck in finding manufacturers of blades this size.

who built the machine? They must have gotten the blade from somewhere.

The machine was a 'homebrew' cobbled together thing.
Neverfear, I've found a blade supplier!!!!
calmly ranted:

Here ya go: http://www.lumberjackent.com/competition.htm The picture on the top is of a 2-man saw. Is this the type of crosscut saw you seek?
If not, a few more details might help people point you in the right direction.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
http://www.idsconsulting.com.au/sb2.htm this is the type of machine he wants.

Thanks Pat:
That illustrates very well what I am asking about.

PS
Also gives me another potential source!
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:34:13 -0800, "Pat"

They should use _that_ in a horror movie! <G>

All they have to do is shoot some footage in an orchard where it's operating. I've occasionally seen things like this in use in citrus orchards and it is flat scary just in normal operation.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:32:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Not on the hooror front (and I can where that thing would look very predatory) the most amazing thing I have watched is tree harvesting. This machine was grabbing 120' 3' diam trees (Tassie Bluegums) and cutting, trimming, topping and debarking them like they were toothpicks. unbelievable. It would cut though the tree in what, under 5 seconds (?). Then trow it down abd sort of nibble its way along the tree debranching, then ZIP 2 seconds to top the tree, theh back and forth a couple of times through these toothed wheels to get rid of the bark.
Actually I was considering tree farming at the time. But these extraction companies were out for themselves to the nth, and the 24 hour per day methods, and mess they left behind was frightening to behold. To say nothing of 4* 3' tree stumps every ten square yards, acre after acre.

These things don't take down the entire tree. They just trim off the top and sides(?) to give a better shape for trees planted in rows and an easier height to work.
Still pretty darned impressive.