Sawblade Question

Not sure if this is the right group for this:

Where do I find information concerning specifications (types, uses, horsepower requirements) for blades in the 32" to 48" range? Primary use will be in a cross cut fashion.

Just point me where to look, or proper key words for a successful google search.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
jbeck

I hope that you're talking about bandsaw blades, not saw blades... unless you own a sawmill..

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis responds:

Sawmills don't have a lot of use for crosscut blades. There are several companies specializing in large blades for sawmills, but they're rip blades, not crosscut, AFAIK.

Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Try a google search for "industrial sawmill cut off saw". This should get you started.

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

And they use rip blades to cut the ends of the board off or to cut shorter boards?

Buzz saws also use crosscut blades, 30 inch maybe larger.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Not talking about bandsaw blades...not useable for the application.

That's what I am looking for...didn't know if they were that or not. I found a few leads off the 'buzz saw' word. Thanks!

Reply to
jbeck

Thank you very much for the link. Those key words seem to be bringing up what I was looking for. Well know after I've had a chance to look through. Thanks again!

Reply to
jbeck

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:39:59 -0700, "jbeck" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Why so mysterious about all of this? What are you _doing_? Timber, firewood....?

Reply to
Old Nick

Blades like this are generally custom or semi custom made. The best thing to do is talk to manufactures. They have engineers that will fit a blade to your requirements.

Reply to
CW

No, but in general, the sawmills around here don't cut the boards to length. They cut the LOGS to rough length with a chainsaw.

What is a buzz saw used for? You say it crosscuts. I've been hearing about "buzz" saws my whole life and have yet to see any saw identified as such...or for that matter find any kind of ID of such a saw in a wood or woodworking source. Woodweb has one reference to a guy cutting 16" slabs with a "buzz" saw.

I used to buy firewood from a sawmill in upstate NY where the owner cut wood to length on a 30" blade, though at that point in my life, I didn't know enough to check what tip grind and other features that saw had. You might call that a buzz saw. I'd call it a portable crosscut saw, with one helluva long support table to the left.

Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie, you've got the concept right! I'm posting a couple pictures on ABPW referencing this thread. Any of these general types were called buzz saws, and were used primarily for cross cutting wood into stove/furnace length before chainsaws came into general use. In those days felling was done with ax and 2 man crosscut saws, "limbing" with an ax, and logs to length with the 2 man crosscut. Limbs were then cut for firewood with the buzz saw, logs brought to manageable size with wedge and sledgehammer, then cut to length with the buzz saw.

The buzz saw was one dangerous piece of machinery!(DAMHIKT)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

A neighbor had one back in the 1970's. It was powered by a wide leather belt from his Ford tractor. (For the terminally curious he had a PTO-to-pulley attachment, the only one I've ever seen.) It cut logs into fireplace length extremely efficiently but that huge, exposed spinning blade scared the snot out of me. I opted for jobs that kept me at least 10' away from the blade & belt.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Didn't mean to be 'mysterious'. Just didn't know if I was posting in an appropriate newsgroup. It seemed most of this newsgroup was for hobby/craft type of wood working. Kind of felt out of place.

I am looking at acquiring a hedger. These are machines that go through orchards, and prune and shape trees on a large scale. I know a little bit about mechanics, but I don't know jack about the big sawmill type blades. The machine I have the offer on has a little over 20' in cut, and is equipped with multiple 32" blades. The use is strictly in a cross cut type fashion. The questions I am trying to find the answers to are (not in any particular order):

1) Where do I get replacement blades--(I found a quote for a 38" blade--$1600, but that's it!) 2) What types of blades are out there? And what are the most suitable? What are their specifications? 3) This particular machine has a history of being a weak cutter. The motor driving the cutting head produces approximately 40hp - 50 hp. I have a spare (from another application) which can produce about 140hp. The engine produces about 225hp, and the pump is suitable for that size...would I be overtorquing the blades that are there if I Aggie Engineered it with the 140hp motor? Are there blades of that size (32") which can take that much hp? Or is this something that I am going to have to completely rebuild for my own application? And that's why I really am after technical specifications for blades, and what is available. If I can find those types of specs, I can figure out the rest.
Reply to
jbeck

Thanks for the information. Am really trying to find something that is 'off the shelf'. Heck, so far haven't had much luck in finding manufacturers of blades this size.

Reply to
jbeck

My dad and a neighbor made one from spare parts laying around from a sawmill salvage job. The circular blade must have been at least 40" if not bigger. It had a clampon file guide for sharpening. The file was at least 18" long.

It ran off a rubber belt from a PTO wheel off the side of our old International Harvester tractor. It had a front end loader on it and he could pick the whole thing up and drive to the neighbors with it. We could cut up logs for firewood much faster than using a chainsaw. He would either accept cash for his services or a percentage of the wood. The logs would have to be cut down, yarded and limbed first.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

These were common for Ford tractors where the owner needed belt power. Unbolt the PTO, bolt on the combo unit. This was also the method used by IH "A" and "C" series tractors, although I believe they came with it "stock". Uncle had one of those saws that mounted on the rear of the "Super A", and then on the "Super C" when he got the larger tractor.

You're right, close to this was NOT where I preferred to work, but I was exposed to it in the early '50's, long before OSHA became *God*. When OSHA happened, I know many farmers who, the first time they had to replace *that* belt or make *that* adjustment, the OSHA specified safety guard made it's way to the scrap pile.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:17:12 -0700, "jbeck" calmly ranted:

Here ya go:

picture on the top is of a 2-man saw. Is this the type of crosscut saw you seek?

If not, a few more details might help people point you in the right direction.

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

that was all that came to mind when I pictured a 3 foot high saw blade... like those old mills in the ghost towns..

Reply to
mac davis

this is the type of machine he wants.

Reply to
Pat

Thanks Pat:

That illustrates very well what I am asking about.

Reply to
jbeck