Saw a Saw Stop

I've heard that the "fit and finish" is supposedly excellent. I'd take exception to that characterization, based on the unit I just inspected. The paint job was horrible! Lots of debris was trapped under the glossy black paint covering the fence and rails. Maybe a Saw Stop was in operation a few feet away from where they paint them? :) What a mess! For $3,500 I'd expect better. The table itself looked beefy and the elevation handle moved smoothly. I liked the overly large shutoff switch. Integral locking casters in the base--nice touch. The handle on the fence stuck out more than I'd like. I didn't get a chance to hear it run. oh, it has a flat belt instead of 3 V belts like the Uni--that's a plus. What a shame it's so expensive (I'm sure that comment will trigger arguments about how much is a finger worth). All in all it looks well built. Now if they can figure out how to apply a decent paint job.
Dave

I recently had a chance to use one of these saws. I never though too much about the hype surrounding this saw. But I was actually impressed with the function of the saw. It felt good and was easy to set up and use. I have a much different opinion of it now than just thinking of it as a safety gimmick.
I forgot to look at the paint job.
Tom Plamann

It seems that the consensus is it's a well-made saw. But is it value for the price point? Those of us who haven't had an opportunity to use it want to know.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

They've got one at the Saskatoon House of Tools, if you haven't already seen it.
The only time I've actually seen one running was at the wood show where they were demoing the "stop" feature, rather than the "cut" feature.
It seems to have a euro-style mechanism where the arbor actually travels straight up and down, but it still has the anti-kickback pawls, no doubt due to legistative stuff. I bet you could make a riving knife that you could actually leave on for non-through cuts.
Is it worth the money? Not for me.
Chris

All these demos of the stop feature at woodworking shows, has anyone timed how long it take to change the cartridge/blade and be ready to operate again?
Upscale wrote:

Iffin I had one of these saws, and I actually had the thing stop due to my flesh hittin the blade, I'm not so sure that I would be in any real great hurry to change the cartridge/blade... at least not till i had fresh skivvies on!

I haven't been in to HOT for some time. I'll make a point of it next week, they're not far from work.
The Dave Balderstone entity posted thusly:

How is House of Tools, anyway? I have just learned that Mr. Tool in Regina is about to become a House of Tools.
You've never been in the Saskatoon store?
I was, until Lee Valley, my favourite place whenever I went to Toon Town.
It is sort of hard to describe, but as you might expect, the Saskatoon store at least is a large warehouse sort of place, I'd guess something like 5000 + sq feet - maybe 4 - 5 times as big as Mr. Tool?
They have several differen t areas for hand tools, power tools, etc. They carry several brands and their own house brand, you can visit their website if you want to to get an idea.
The Saskatoon store is way better than anything in Regina.

The Doug Brown entity posted thusly:

I've been to Saskatoon maybe 3 times. Each time, it's been on business, and I was in and out, with no time to see or do much of anything.

Why do I find that incredibly easy to believe. :-)

Their pricing is fair, pretty much matching everyone else. I keep an eye on their sale flyers, particularly for clamps.
I've bought a fair bit from them over the past 5 years.
The Dave Balderstone entity posted thusly:

Thanks. I'll let you know when they arrive.
One thing I liked about Mr. Tool is that they had used stuff on consignment . Bought a few things from them. Latest was a low-end Craftsman bandsaw for about 60 bucks. Just the ticket for making router forms.
Larry

Could be. Although it may be a bit over priced to help cover their R&D, it looked like the parts were of good quality. So I would guess it be left to the buyer on what they can afford and if they have a habit of putting their fingers close to spinning saw blades. I would still like to see someone brave enough to stick a finger into a saw stop blade.
Tom Plamann
Tom Plamann wrote:

yeah, you got to USE it; I only got to LOOK at it, Tom. :)
dave