Sam Maloof Styled Rocker

Lots of references around to the "Sam Maloof Styled Rocker".
Anyone ever sat in one? : )
Rest a spell, take a break from the political threads, and share your experience...
On 3/26/2010 6:33 PM, Bill wrote:

You mean like these here ones rat cheer?:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157603972919627 / http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157603969234306 / http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157603969343998 / http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157603969468608 /
I built those, yep I did. :-)

You are quite the artist. Thank you for sharing!
Bill

On 3/26/2010 11:15 PM, Bill wrote:

Thanks! I hope to start on some more chairs in the near future, but I've got so many other things going on right now I don't know when I'll get the chance.

Steve,
Damn! Not only are the chairs a beautiful style, but the wood is gorgeous!!
Wow!
On 3/27/2010 1:57 AM, Steve wrote:

Thank you! I do try my best to pick out nice lumber and I spend quite a bit of time matching the grain patterns so things flow nicely together. Glad you liked them.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Okay, they are beautiful. How do they perform as chairs? Steve, Are yours custom made (for the sitter)?
Best, Bill
On 2010-03-27 23:38:51 -0400, Steve Turner

Really like the spalted pecan. How did you finish that?
On 03/28/2010 08:44 PM, Steve wrote:

The pecan chair just has a couple of light coats of Min-Wacks wipe-on poly, but it needs to be refreshed; it hasn't held up that well in areas where it's been in contact with human skin or sweat (the arms and seat). I've been toying with whether I should re-sand and add a few more coats of the poly, or if I should switch gears. Deciding on the best-looking and most durable finish for these chairs has been a challenge... I've yet to try Larry's J's suggestion of WaterLox, and I'm also curious about this catalyzed poly/lacquer that Nailshooter Robert turned me onto a few months ago. I've done some tests with that stuff and it appears to be *very* durable.

Precisely why I asked. I just finished a sofa table with a top of wildly distressed pecan over an apron and legs of cherry. I'm not sure the tone of the pecan sits well against the cherry, but the color of your rocker would work very nicely. I'll go throw a couple quick pix on apbw. (If I can remember how to do that...)
On 3/29/2010 9:12 PM, Steve wrote:

I checked out your table on abpw, and it looks very nice; I like the look of the cherry and pecan together (at least from where I'm sitting). Have you not put any finish on the pecan yet? I like the look of the Minwax wipe-on poly, and it's very easy to apply (I usually thin it a bit with mineral spirits which makes it flow out even better). I'd think it would hold up fine for a table top like that since I doubt it would come in contact with moisture or sweaty oily skin like a rocking chair does.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 2010-03-29 23:10:47 -0400, Steve Turner
Like most of my stuff, the whole piece is just finished with Watco natural. Tried a couple samples of the pecan with Watco Cherry and couldn't make up my mind.
Bill wrote:

Yep many times, He use to live about 2 blocks from me. I considered him a Friend and Neighbor. I miss him greatly!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

Not in a rocker, but in a chair. It was amazing comfortable for a wooden chair. Everyone who sat in it, had the same experience.
What an artist.
MJ
Bill wrote:

yes. about 10 years ago there was a maloof exhibition in a san diego art museum. they had a bunch scattered about that people were allowed to sit in.