Ryobi 12-5/16 (AP-12) Planer Blades

My old Ryobi AP-12 surface planer is doing fine but showing signs of needing blade replacement and I'm getting nervous. Previously I have paid $20 to $25 for a set of blades at various home and tool stores. Now, apparently Home Depot is the only authorized Ryobi tool outlet now and they don't stock them. The local "authorized" parts and repair shop wants $55 and the Ryobi web site sends you to an aftermarket distributor that wants $63. I have even seen them as high a $71 on some internet mail order sites.

I have seen posts on some tool sites that suggest that some Delta blades will fit this machine. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Looks like Ryobi is abandoning their old customers.

HELP! Ron

Reply to
RonB

Hi Ron,

I went thru the same thing a few years ago. The 12 1/2" Delta blades will fit the AP-12 just fine. I've been thru several sets of them now. Just make sure you have the blades centered in the machine so they don't rub on the sides. And you'll have a 12 1/2" planer instead of 12 5/16". Don't remember exactly what I paid for them, but seems like about $30. Good luck.

Cheers, Barney

Reply to
Barney

Thanks Barney. I pulled a blade out of my machine, after I posted my message, took it over to Home Depot and compared it with the Delta 12-1/2" blade. Except for the center hole and trademark stamp on the Delta, they appeared to be duplicates. My old draftsman's eye might have detected that the Delta is slightly wider at the blade edge, but less that .01" (assuming the eyes still work at age 58). I suspect .01" is tolerance.

Thanks again for the substantiation. By the way, HD in Wichita, Ks sells the deltas for $26.95. MUCH better than the $63 that Riobi's parts shop wanted. Looks like Delta is taking better care of Ryobi folks that Ryobi does.

I kinda wondered why HD sold the blades when they don't offer Delta planers - this might be a clue.

Ron

Reply to
RonB