Rust spots on new jointer

Page 2 of 2
stoutman wrote:

night w/ permeable tarps...these can help. Best bet is to climatize the shop if possible. Unfortunately, I can't in the barn where mine is now set up, at least until can finish closing in and put in some interior partitions and weather-proofing. :(
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

A fan, running 24/7 for going on four years, is one of the best rust preventatives in my un-air-conditioned shop. May not work well in all climates, but it works like a charm here in Houston.
On that note, I occasionally looked after the machined surfaces in an air-conditioned shop, less than two miles from mine and with no fan, for a friend (divorcee) who was constantly battling rust in the shop her husband left behind.
Once she installed and kept a fan, running, her rust problems diminished to the point that she could handle it herself with occasional applications of TopCote.
Any new husband is going to be grateful, and not just for it being rust free ... the shop is 3200 sf, with a resident forklift! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote: ...

Problem w/ the barn is, well...it's a barn! :)
Isn't tight, and original portions never will be...but it's best I got at present until get it finished and have time to enclose an area of the loft as a permanent shop area...so, I cover stuff up when it's going to snow 'n blow as now, or rain w/ <real> wind....we're normally arid so just air-induced surface rust isn't too much of an issue except in cold weather (such as now) when condensation can be an issue. There, the cover minimizes problems as well.
There's enough draft normally through there a fan would be of little difference plus I don't like to leave stuff running out there even if it is "just a fan" w/ the various varmints that can and do inhabit the place either permanently or show up at night...
"Duane Bozarth" < wrote in message

Merely remarking on my solution/experience down here in the much less arid Gulf Coast. While I wasn't recommending a fan for your barn, particularly knowing where you are, I'd bet that my shop is almost as "drafty" ... IOW, and except for the roof, the "climate" outside, is generally the "climate" inside. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

And you haven't married her yet? Oh I know, the "wife wouldn't approve", right? You don't have to tell your wife everything, do you?
UA100
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

Never gave it a thought. She's still single, and still my wife's best friend.
I'll admit that if I wasn't so satisfied with what I have, it would have been pretty hard to take seeing someone handed a dream shop, with an easy $100K investment in tools, wood and supplies, not including the building itself paid for, and then watch them piss it off, after making a half dozen pens, from a kit.
There was _nothing_ left to want in that shop ... and the best of everything. But I am still of the mind that having all that dropped into your lap would have ruined the fun of it, at least for me ... then again, very little of the equipment would have even fit in my shop.
I was aware of the shop for about two years, had heard stories about it and the equipment, but wasn't invited to see it by the idiot in question because he "didn't want anyone to see it until he got it organized."
Next thing I know I am cleaning up two years worth of rust on equipment that most of us here would have given our eyeteeth for.
And to Leon: you're right .. it's off of Kirby north of Bisonnett. I posted information here about her sale of wood and other items about a year or so back, so if you went to that sale, you'll know what I am talking about.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I went but I think a lot of it was sold. Is there anything left that she wants to sell? I do recall seeing a bunch of STUFF/Toys that you and I were talking about a few weeks ago.

"Leon" wrote in message

The toy situation is a bizzare story in itself ...
A big Delta commercial DC, Delta 8" jointer (not a DJ-20, I would have made her an offer on that despite not having the room, and the fact that she's been such a good and kind friend to our family that I simply could not bring myself to reap any benefit whatsoever from her misfortune), Delta band saw (>14" but I can't recall the exact model), and some other smallerwoodworking items are all apparently being rented by the current tenant.
From what I understand, that might all change relatively soon, though.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman was that the place that is on Bisonnett near Kirby?

Howdy,
Yes.
Many car waxes have silicones in them. That (even in tiny amounts) can be the kiss of death for many wood finishes.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

usually contain selicone...
However I restore and show cars and honestly I have not found the "perfect" car wax YET... so I have at least a dozen brands of car wax in the garages SO guess what I use on my Table saws etc....YEP whatever can I reach first...
Never had any problem "finishing" my projects ... again I will use the word YET.
Johnsons or Butchers waxes is what everyone will recommend I bet...
BTW...I like Zaino or Finish First for my cars,.... both sell for a little over a hundred bucks a gallon however ... nothing is cheap that works good.... lol.. .
Bob Griffiths
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:49:20 -0500, Bob G.

Have you used lacquer on any wood projects yet? That's usually the most affected. Oils and shellac usually aren't affected at all.
Barry

it's a lemon. send it back.
Geesh.

stoutman wrote: