Rust spots on new jointer

... and a fan helps to keep the air at a more even temperature throughout the shop, which also helps.

Reply to
Swingman

===================== EVERYONE is going to advise you NOT to use Car wax.... since they usually contain selicone...

However I restore and show cars and honestly I have not found the "perfect" car wax YET... so I have at least a dozen brands of car wax in the garages SO guess what I use on my Table saws etc....YEP whatever can I reach first...

Never had any problem "finishing" my projects ... again I will use the word YET.

Johnsons or Butchers waxes is what everyone will recommend I bet...

BTW...I like Zaino or Finish First for my cars,.... both sell for a little over a hundred bucks a gallon however ... nothing is cheap that works good.... lol.. .

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Merely remarking on my solution/experience down here in the much less arid Gulf Coast. While I wasn't recommending a fan for your barn, particularly knowing where you are, I'd bet that my shop is almost as "drafty" ... IOW, and except for the roof, the "climate" outside, is generally the "climate" inside. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Have you used lacquer on any wood projects yet? That's usually the most affected. Oils and shellac usually aren't affected at all.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

it's a lemon. send it back.

Reply to
bridger

Because of schedule (we needed to get into the house) I used regular old porch paint (a latex product) from (insert big box store here) and it's held up pretty well. There are many,many, many quarter (twenty five cents) sized spots where the paint has lifted but for the most part I'd have to say that 99.50% of the floor is still covered.

I did go back one day and re-painted a swath around my table saw and it's held up really good, actually looks great. My thinking is to re-paint small sections (4' X 4' or 10' X

10') ever so often until the entire floor is re-painted. I am leaning towards something other than the existing Sea Foam Green.

I used a wall paint with a fungicide and after 5ish years it's held up. The foundation is cinder clock (CMU) construction and somewhere around 45 years old. We do live on the edge of a swamp though and the sump pump cycles all day, all year round. Still, I don't experience rising damp.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

And you haven't married her yet? Oh I know, the "wife wouldn't approve", right? You don't have to tell your wife everything, do you?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Swingman was that the place that is on Bisonnett near Kirby?

Reply to
Leon

The first year I had my saw I waxed it but then did nothing for a few months Once warm humid day I opened the still cool garage door. I could see it getting a brown haze as I stood there with my mouth open in astonishment. Next day I bought a can of Top Cote.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Never gave it a thought. She's still single, and still my wife's best friend.

I'll admit that if I wasn't so satisfied with what I have, it would have been pretty hard to take seeing someone handed a dream shop, with an easy $100K investment in tools, wood and supplies, not including the building itself paid for, and then watch them piss it off, after making a half dozen pens, from a kit.

There was _nothing_ left to want in that shop ... and the best of everything. But I am still of the mind that having all that dropped into your lap would have ruined the fun of it, at least for me ... then again, very little of the equipment would have even fit in my shop.

I was aware of the shop for about two years, had heard stories about it and the equipment, but wasn't invited to see it by the idiot in question because he "didn't want anyone to see it until he got it organized."

Next thing I know I am cleaning up two years worth of rust on equipment that most of us here would have given our eyeteeth for.

And to Leon: you're right .. it's off of Kirby north of Bisonnett. I posted information here about her sale of wood and other items about a year or so back, so if you went to that sale, you'll know what I am talking about.

Reply to
Swingman

My new saw 4 years ago rusted over night after I cleaned the coating off the top. 1 coat of Top Cote was not enough for the initial application. Now I reapply about every 6 months. You mentioned Top Saver in another post. IIRC they invented TopCote and sold it to Bostich.

Reply to
Leon

I went but I think a lot of it was sold. Is there anything left that she wants to sell? I do recall seeing a bunch of STUFF/Toys that you and I were talking about a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Leon

The toy situation is a bizzare story in itself ...

A big Delta commercial DC, Delta 8" jointer (not a DJ-20, I would have made her an offer on that despite not having the room, and the fact that she's been such a good and kind friend to our family that I simply could not bring myself to reap any benefit whatsoever from her misfortune), Delta band saw (>14" but I can't recall the exact model), and some other smaller woodworking items are all apparently being rented by the current tenant.

From what I understand, that might all change relatively soon, though.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to