Routing a T-Slot in Corian?

I am (very slowly and deliberately) building a new router table from corian. It is reasonable to rout a Tslot into the corian, rather than putting in an aluminum track? Perhaps the corian is too tough to rout like that, or maybe it is not strong enough to work properly. The router bits are $35, so it is not something I can experiment with.

Reply to
toller

If the bit is THAT pricy, why not just epoxy the T-track into the corian?

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

Two reasons; the corian really isn't thick enough to support an insert, and routing it directly would be so darn elegant (if it is practical).

Reply to
toller

Hmmm...not thick enough for an insert, but thick enough for routing a T-track right into the Corian? What's the difference in total depth?

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

unless you are doubling up the corian i would think the remaining material would be too thin and probly crack. what i did with mine was make the top from 3 peices and spaces em out to form 2 slots. I rarely use them opting to use a sled for operatons requiring a miter guage. i wasnt concerned about making a t-slot because at the time my miter guage did not require it. YMMV. i used 3/4 " stock mounted to the sub structure for the spacing and used plastic laminate to build it up to the depth i needed for my miter guage. the PL made it slide quite nicely. i can post some pics if ya like. [ if i can find em ] lol...

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Reply to
David

Even if you double the thickness to 1" to compensate for the material you are routing away, the top lip of the t-slot would be too thin/fragile to be serviceable. Sink in an aluminum track with some epoxy.

Reply to
Robatoy

Corian? Tough? hehehe ______________

Right

Reply to
dadiOH

Well, I suppose he could rout it and if (or when) it breaks, dado over the broken part and then add his t-track.

Reply to
Upscale

He doesn't want functional; he wants "elegant". :)

Dave

Upscale wrote:

Reply to
David

Come on now; I want it elegant, but only if it is also functional. That ought to make sense to a woodworker; why should our tools be as nice as our products?

Reply to
toller

Right! "why SHOULD our tools be as nice..."

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

What's wrong with 2 or 3 pieces of 3/4 MDF laminated together (cover with plastic laminate if you wish). Plenty thick to drop in the deepest track you can find. dimensionally stable. Not to pricey. Will Corian have a more distinct "buzz" from the router running than several layers of MDF? Just wondering.

Dave

David wrote:

Reply to
David

I will let you know in a while.

You don't like nice tools?!?! Then you are the first.

Reply to
toller

Sure I do. But I don't go to great lengths to have a museum quality piece of furniture in the shop. The tools in the shop are to assist me in making furniture, etc. The shop is not just the means to an end. Doesn't mean I don't like nice tools though! :)

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

hey ! Hey! *jumping up and down*.."I can answer that!!"

Acrylic solid surfacing has a much higher 'Q' than MDF. It will make a much better sound-board than MDF... MDF will 'deaden' the sound more, due to its mass as well as its 'lossy-ness'. IOW..Corian can actually make the sound appear louder at certain frequencies than MDF.

A church bell hanging from a rope has a high 'Q' A rubber bag full of turds hanging from a rope has a low 'Q'.

One goes 'DING'... the other goes 'Thud'

That was today's lesson in psycho-acoustics.

Contents of this post may have settled after posting.

Reply to
Robatoy

So you are telling me my instinct is correct; Corian router top = NOISY router station.

Dave

Robatoy wrote:

Reply to
David

I have solid surface router table top. VERY noisy. Your instincts are correct. The motor and the table-top literally turn into a transducer. Stiffening the table top with bracing just jacks up the frequency to a higher resonance. Gluing on a slab of lead would be ideal. Depleted uranium? *G* I siliconed a pad of bitumuous mastic onto the bottom of my table-top. That helped a lot. A dry-wall sandwich will help too. At the auto-wreckers they will let you rip chunks of the sound deadening material off old cars. Anything heavy and spongy will dampen noise. The emphasis is on mass. Acoustic energy will kill itself on mass. Fluffy stuff like fibreglass helps reduce reflected sound with minimal result, but we're after transmitted sound.

Reply to
Robatoy

Anyone have any comments on this a Lee Valley Tools metal router table top? I've had it in my wishlist for awhile, but may rethink it if it's going to jack up the noise level. Of course I could wear hearing protection, but there's always the urge to forgo it when there's a quick job to do.

Reply to
Upscale

He's putting his router table in the kitchen.

Reply to
CW