Routing a slot in a brittle laquered surface

Hello, As you can tell by the question, I'm not an experienced woodworker. Anyway, I need to elongate an existing slot in a surface with a brittle laquered finish, and don't want that finish to splinter or crack. I have router bits and drills, and can also get access to metalworking endmills. Any suggestions? How do the pros do that? Thanks in Advance, Jim Mass

Reply to
jim_mass

(I noticed that my old email address was on my previous post, so re-posting....)

Hello,

As you can tell by the question, I'm not an experienced woodworker.

Anyway, I need to elongate an existing slot in a surface with a brittle laquered finish, and don't want that finish to splinter or crack. I have router bits and drills, and can also get access to metalworking endmills.

Any suggestions? How do the pros do that?

Thanks in Advance, Jim Mass

Reply to
jim_mass

I'd use a "down cut" router bit or a "left hand spiral" milling cutter. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick