Corian router tables?

I have never heard of a router table being made of Corian, but it seems like a good material. Obviously there is a problem I am overlooking. Just cost, or is there more?

Reply to
toller

corian is weak, soft and overpriced. damn yuppie bondo snot.....

Reply to
bridger

If you can find some for cheap, go for it! I used ply (2 sheets glued together to make 1.5" thickness) and covered it with Formica using contact cement.

Reply to
Phisherman

Check with you local building center to see if you can get scraps like sink cut outs. I use em to make cheesy cutting boards.

D. Mo.

Reply to
D. Mo

Why did you use the formica? Is the Corian too soft?

Reply to
toller

I work with corian now and then and imagine the it would make an ideal surface for a router table, but a large piece, unless well supported (or bonded to a more ridgid substrate), would sag under its own weight. In fact, this is a critical factor when using it for countertops. However, it would make for smooth table top for routing.

Reply to
tefgaf

thats what i used and it works great. i used 3 peices and spaced em out for a miter slot on each side. i also made the fence universal so it can be used end to end or side to side. the slots were a little deeper than needed so i used formica to built up the slots so my miter guage sits flush to the top. i used 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" oak for support underneath in a grid pattern and spaced the grid so it is under the slots. if you like i can post some pics. for the base i just used up some scrap plywood to form a crude cabinet. its a shop tool so it aint got to be pretty!

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

My sister redid her kitchen. When they priced it, granite was cheaper. Talk about smooth and flat.

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

No. I used Formica because that was in the plans. After several years of heavy use, I'm very satisfied and would use Formica again. The use of contact cement is a downside--plenty of ventilation is needed. I think the Formica is a tougher than Corian, perhaps less expensive.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cost would be the major factor

John

Reply to
John

We did the same.

And nearly indestructable as well! No need to worry about burning the surface with a hot frying pan, roaster pan, etc.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett