Routers

Page 3 of 3
On Jun 25, 1:24am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

WARNING: It's an Eeevilll plot, a slippery slope. Once you get a router and find out what it can do, you will invest in a box of bits, and then find a need for a router table. Then a good clamping straight edge, and on, and on! But I agree, a single speed, basic, router will work just fine to get started. Hope this helps.....

I have a shameless inventory of routers and I'm surprised how well some of the newer Craftsman models perform. For the price they do very well. I bought this one several months ago and it has worked flawlessly. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdinep/2524912197 /
I paid 79.99 for it and I see where Sears has it now for $84.99 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917542000P
Max

I think this is the one that came with my router table:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917541000P?mv=rr
--Steve

I recommend the Bosch Colt. It is often sold as a "trim" router because it is small, but it is very reliable, can be used with most 1/4" shank bits, and has enough power to do most tasks if you don't try to do to too much in a single pass. It runs about $25 new in most stores.
See http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId"6729-353-PR2 0EVSK&lpage=none

you could always stop at a pawn shop and pick up an older craftsmans for $50.

Don't older Craftsman routers have the ARHA (Automatic random height adjustment) feature? I would think one from a borg would be preferable, if only to avoid this.
Puckdropper

Same thing, maybe. The ones at HD are the same as some of the Craftsman, made by Ryobi.
I'd stick with the brand names like Bosch, DeWalt, PorterCable, etc. That way you only buy one good router.
With the building industry in the dumps(in most areas), I would start touring the pawn shops.
I would look for almost any Porter Cable router, with the 690 series being a very nice choice.
You might also run across Dewalt or Hitachi but steer away from Ryobi or any brand not ever heard of.
You want a router with the ability to change collets(all Porter Cable) and you want a 1/2" collet for the best service.
I would think a decent router can be found for well under $100 these days.
I would mention Ebay, but that is pot luck and too many thieves and crooks like that venue.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Try checking your local craigslist for a used one. Also, some major cities have Porter Cable retail stores where you can often find reconditioned router bodies/motors for good prices.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

u40139@uwe (toolman946viaCraftKB.com) wrote:

I checked their website and the KM12VC listed $315 new and $102 recondtioned. But I saw it at Lowe's for $179. So now I'm wondering, if they're wrong about that, what else could they be wrong about? Like warranty, etc.
Take Care, Stan
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

179 is a discounted price--that's the same as Coastal Tool charges and Coastal is about as cheap as a reputable supplier gets.
On the other hand, Amazon right now has it for 129--I'd bet that that was a limited time special though.
--John

Yikes!!! I just checked Amazing.com and they talk about a July shipping date. So I don't think the sale is over yet. I thinks that's an outstanding deal for this machine. If I didn't have so many already... I'd jump on it!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Oops!
I just had a close-up look with the zoom feature on Amazon's website (pretty cool, actually) and I see that this is one of the "new generation" of Hitachi tools with their swoosh styling and jazzy color scheme. I don't think this current incarnation quite compares to the vintage Hitachi products, but I still think that for the money... this is a good deal for a 2 base router kit.