Routers

Page 1 of 2
Thinking about buying my 1st router, any suggestions on what I should look for, or what I should stay away from?

i like the linksys i got but i hear netgear is good also., But i also hear motorola makes a good router and you can plug multiple computers into it
pooteo wrote:

Oh, do it right and get a Cisco.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Linksys IS Cisco.
NoOne N Particular wrote:

Well, in the same sense that the KR201 is a Messerschmitt.
--John

Messerschmidt maybe?

I also like the porter cable router with the two extra bases, I have it mounted on a homemade table that works just fine. I also bought a 3.5 hp variable speed router on ebay for about $70.00 which I plan to mount to the other end of my table for heavier cutting. Good Luch Johnny!

I like the Linksys WRT54GL router myself.
Puckdropper
marching band.
Puckdropper wrote:

Especially with the DD-WRT firmware.

Please. I don't think this is the question the OP is asking. I mean, we don't even know if they need switching functionality too. We have a pair of nice Cisco 6500 layer 3 core switches that both switch and route between VLANs. With the redundant supervisor modules, you could buy a really nice workshop and tools for what those babies cost (OBWW).
todd
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:39:34 -0600, todd wrote:

Yeah, but the 208 Volt 30 amp service is gonna be tough to get in a home workshop. Not to mention the umpty umpty BTU's of cooling he'll need.
D.G. Adams

Two years from now, the woodworking tools would still have value. <G>

What do you mean "tough?" Just unplug the table saw. You don't need to be using it when you're using the router.
Puckdropper
marching band.
I'd get at least a 1.5 HP or more if you can, If you are going to use this router hand held then I'd also suggest getting a Plunge Router, it's much better for a varity of jobs. A very good mid priced router id the Porter Cable 690 series, you can get it in a kit with both a fixed and plunge bases.
Cheers Mike H
http://www.novascotiawoodworkers.ca

If you need just one router, buy one with some balls. You will need them at some point.
One helluva deal is the Hitachi M12V and there are still some older models available for a song.
It will give you 3.25 HP, 1/2" collet and plunge. I have 4 of those puppies now and love them.

Somone told me that these routers are now made in China from the Japanese tooling. Yes? No?
I know they moved a lot of their manufacturing over there, but this particular router has been an industry standard workhorse even before Bob and Rick (good day, eh? We're here to talk about yoosing your router.)
Just wondernig. I used to see them on sale every once in a while and always wondered if I >>needed<< one.
Robert

Try to keep this quiet, Robert, but here's a deal that's almost incredible. http://www.specialtytools.com/product_info.php?products_id=12537

Just don't buy one of these for table use unless you are also going to invest in a lift kit. The Triton is an easier solution for a table.
Davej wrote:

If there's a local Woodcraft I'd advise walking in and looking around--the local ones had that model router on closeout for under a hundred bucks just before Christmas.
--John

Assuming you are interested in pursuing woodworking as a hobby and this is not just a one-shot project, spend the dollars up front and get a Porter Cable, Dewalt or Bosch kit with both a plunge base and a fixed base, 1/2" and 1/4" collets (accepts bits with both 1/2" and 1/4" shank). Stay away from Craftsman, Black & Decker, Skil, Ryobi and Harbor Freight or anything else that is substantially cheaper than the name brands in the first group. You will soon have more invested in bits than you do in your router. Buy only Carbide tipped bits and stay away from the ones that seem too good a deal to pass up. If you are just buying a router for one project and don't see any further need for it, still buy a good one and sell it on Ebay when you are finished. The good ones bring good prices, but you can't give the cheap ones away.
DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him."