Router lift recommendations

Page 5 of 5

I find myself in the midst of a herd of smartypants. I like that.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:16:12 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

If router elevators ever drop below the "price contains a comma" level, let me know, eh? They're getting Festering prices for that crap, mon. UFR!
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Huh? They're only a third of that and only a half of the price of the festering router that they really need. ;-) You can get both and not need a comma.
On 7/16/2010 12:44 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Amazon.com prices: Bench Dog ProLift - $325 Triton 3-1/4-HP router with built-in lift $270 Triton 2-1/4 HP router with built-in lift $220 Check the customer reviews, Tritons get high raves. I bought the smaller router myself, it came with both 1/4 and 1/2 collets. I installed it with a Rockler aluminum router table plate, total cost still far less than the Bench Dog. The set-up is rock solid. I can now accurately adjust my router up/down in .001 increments (confirmed with a digital height gauge) in mere seconds, couldn't be easier. I also like how the Triton automatically locks and unlocks the collet when I raise and lower the router for bit changes.
On Thu 15 Jul 2010 08:12:25p, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I haven't seen anyone mention Router Raizer yet, so I'll chime in with that. My router table is a 1 inch thick piece of table top from a dead computer desk (the top was the only part of that desk that wasn't junk), a Hitachi M12V, clamped to a WorkMate 550 and a homemade wood fence. They had a sale at a woodworking show some years back and I decided it was cheap enough, and the demo was good enough, to make it look like a good gamble. About 70 bucks American, I think I paid.
I like it. There's a crank you have to keep handy and a little magnetic cap for the crank hole, but so far that hasn't been a bother.
Then again, maybe I like it because it was so cheap and fits right in with the whole Mickey Mouse arrangement for the router table. :-) I know for sure it's a whole lot more fun than messing with the default height adjustment, and just as accurate.

The Bench Dog is an excellent lift. But condiser that for the price of a good lift you can buy a good router with the lift built in and you end up with another router. I had a large Bosch hanging under my table for about 20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

See photo in Amazon listing.

The Triton router adjusts from above the table, apparently. I've never used one, so...
Bottom of the page: http://www.ptreeusa.com/routers.htm#8052
On Jul 18, 8:37pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Any of the Milwaukee routers adjusts from the top of the table. Not just accurately, but damned fine machinery to boot.

What he said. I'm happy with my "5625-20"
Max

My older Triton has a fine adjust knob that you twist, it is at the top of the router but the bottom when hanging therefore it is easy to reach. The newer models allow adjustment from the top of the table. Additionally the coarse adjust knob is located on one of the handles, that too is easy to get to.
Given that, most of the after market router lifts do offer a method to raise the bit a precise measured distance. I have never had the desire or the need for any type reference, I use my eyes and a test piece to determine If I am cutting in the correct location.

After getting my Triton I dutifully drilled the hole for the above table adjustment doohickey and tested it out. And then I never used it again. If you changed bits then you might have to change speeds so your hand is under the table anyway. After changing the height, well there's that lock knob to lock, which you might omit doing but there's a lock and I'm going to lock the sucker, so your hand is under the table anyway. You need to get down at eye level to the bit to set the height and while you're doing that there's time to open up a door and get your hand in there... which is faster than retreiving the adjuster doohickey, which has probably fallen off the back of the router table by the time you needed it, and getting it engaged properly anyway. So long story short, totally pointless feature as far as I am concerned, unless your table is designed in a way that makes getting to the underside more difficult than it ought to be.
HOWEVER, the Triton, when the power is off, lets you bring the collet up above the table and locks the spindle by itself. One wrench for bit changes. It usually takes me longer to find the right bit than to change it. That right there is worth the price of admission.
-Kevin

I use the Rockler Router Lift FX http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !380&filter=router%20lift%20fx With good results in a Bench Dog router table extension on my table saw.
It took a bit of adjustment to hold my PC 893 but has been quite stable since the initial set up. Height adjustments are fast and accurate.
I started that route many times.
I ended up with the Triton 3 1/2 HP router with built in lift. That gave me a router(Hitachi M12V) I didn't need(have five more) so I sold it and offset the cost.
Couldn't be happier.
Jim