Router lift recommendations

Page 3 of 5

Which, BTW, is how modern news readers handle the problem of top-posters.
Not a problem, bring him along.

Try to come up to the 90's and get a decent reader that handles it.

Have your accounts been removed by other's complaints?
Do you like to force your opinions on others?
On 7/21/10 11:24 AM, Josepi wrote:

Outlook Express on XP is an abortion, it is neither advanced nor modern. You sir, are a tard.
--
Froz...

I can read any format, after I graduated from grade 5
You guys need a better troll than posting style.
Outlook Express on XP is an abortion, it is neither advanced nor modern. You sir, are a tard.
On 7/21/10 11:24 AM, Josepi wrote:

Ah it tis Jethro Bodine.
Mark
On 7/21/2010 8:47 PM, Josepi wrote:

Who gives a shit what YOU can read? We can all read it too, but who WANTS to? The vast majority of us here prefer to read conversations top to bottom, like a book or an interview, in the order that the conversation actually *occurred*. You've been politely asked over and over not to top-post, and you've either blatantly ignored the requests or you've replied with snide and condescending remarks. Congratulations! I'm sure you can just imagine all the new friends you've made! You're just like the obnoxious new kid that horns in on a group of life-long friends and expects the whole clan to bend to YOUR way of doing things. You need to eat some serious crow or you will be plonked and ignored by 95% of the people here, and something tells me you're already about 95% of the way there. Way to go; you really know how to be a part of the team.
--
A. Because it makes the discussion harder to read.
Q. Why should I not top-post?
[...]

How many names have you been trolling this crap under?
I would have thought such a seasoned user would know how to use a killfilter.
Better trolling next time. Pehaps a more convincing nym?
[...]
On 07/19/2010 08:43 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Add me to that list. I have the G0453 planer (the 15" version of the 20" planer mentioned above), G0440 2HP cyclone dust collector, and the G1495 lathe. My dad has a 15" planer and dust collector (both different models than mine), a 8" jointer, a G1035 shaper, and a 14" bandsaw. No problems with any of them.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
wrote the following:

with a

about
planer mentioned

a 15" planer and

shaper, and a 14"

I guess it is personal preference for me to not like Grizzly, and I am probably unjustified in saying anything bad. I have a friend who has a couple of their shapers and a bandsaw and he says that they do ok. So I hereby backpetal on any comments about Grizzly.
woodstuff
wrote the following:

Let a thousand flowers bloom!
woodstuff wrote:

Your comments are just as valuable as anyone else's, particularly after you elaborated a bit. I've been thinking of buying some Grizzly products myself, specifically a planer, and some shaper bits. Your comments on both are much appreciated.
--
Jack
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

As an aside about the Grizzly GO454, I found 9 (or 11, can't remember) other companies with this same planer on the net. The main "body" is the same in all, except for the colors and maybe some switching and HP. Some have 3-knife cutterheads, others 4. Some have byrd-style heads.
Going only from memory, I think there was Powermatic, Sunhill, (memory escapes me), and of course Grizzly (which has a 4-knife cutterhead). One thing I have a problem with is the design of the table where there is a recess on both sides, and no built-in guide to keep the workpiece from under the cutters. This applies mostly to wider pieces which might turn slightly (as can happen on most any planer). I cut some thin sticks to go into the little recess on each side of the table and clamped them on with C-clamps; it worked ok.
Mostly, I use the planer to thin door panels to 11/16 before going to the wide belt (which takes them to 5/8). Occasionally, I will use it for other tasks, like surfacing rough sawn lumber. It does OK for what I use it for. Still, I wish I had spent some more and gotten an industrial machine. For a hobby shop or light use, the Grizzly might be fine.
If one puts a digital depth gauge on it, it would be nice; I have to measure the pieces comming out when they start getting close.
have a good day, woodstuff
On 7/19/2010 3:33 AM, woodstuff wrote:

Do get started. Grizzly is generally well regarded--if you've had problems please do share.

with a

about
the
high-dollar
(I
would
Well, other than the common stuff of having to initially readjust the knives and bed rollers, I had a problem of slop in the crank handle that required removing the top and having it ground a little. The knob that tightens the vertical adjustment has never been able to hold it; it's like a decoration. And it's minor, but the glides on the side where there is a petal to push down always moved until I put in some backup nuts. The knives that came with it didn't last very long, but that can be expected. The motor itself had a plastic part that disassembled itself (Grizzly replaced it). About all of the above, the customer service guy at Grizzly said that "we can't check all of them". Understandably, that may be true, but I don't think that they check very many at all outside of China.
All-in-all, I guess that my problems have been really minor, and I guess that I just got spoiled by having used more industrial planers. It works and I guess that is all that matters. I officially recind any disparaging remarks about Grizzly.

However, a shaper won't turn smaller bits at a high enough RPM. Certainly there is a common area for the two tools, but there is a lot at either end, as well. I'll have to investigate this further. Some day, perhaps.

I thought that this was why Festering Tools existed. ;-)

I've looked at a lot of Grizzley tools, but have always found something else that screamed louder for my money. Some day, perhaps, they'll win one.

"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. Cutting wood is noisy.

Induction motors are certainly a win but not because of dB, rather HP. That said, an electronically controlled router will have a pretty consistent RPM, as well.
On Jul 19, 8:12pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Always compensating after the fact. Just ain't da same.
Just like sex for ya'
LOL