Router lift recommendations

"Robatoy" wrote

What he said. I'm happy with my "5625-20"

Max

Reply to
Max

My older Triton has a fine adjust knob that you twist, it is at the top of the router but the bottom when hanging therefore it is easy to reach. The newer models allow adjustment from the top of the table. Additionally the coarse adjust knob is located on one of the handles, that too is easy to get to.

Given that, most of the after market router lifts do offer a method to raise the bit a precise measured distance. I have never had the desire or the need for any type reference, I use my eyes and a test piece to determine If I am cutting in the correct location.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I only reason bought the Griz 'cuz a poster said that a Domino would hit my wife on the head and I might get another one also. Since she moved out and is going to file for a divorce, this might simplify matters... I really want that Domino, and I sure would miss her :-)

Reply to
woodstuff

Add me to that list. I have the G0453 planer (the 15" version of the 20" planer mentioned above), G0440 2HP cyclone dust collector, and the G1495 lathe. My dad has a 15" planer and dust collector (both different models than mine), a 8" jointer, a G1035 shaper, and a 14" bandsaw. No problems with any of them.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Do get started. Grizzly is generally well regarded--if you've had problems please do share.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:22:38 -0500, "woodstuff" wrote the following:

Hmm, we're talkin' router v. shaper and you bring up a planer and an overpriced bisquicker along with a divorce. Respectfully, methinks you have problems other than Griz, sir. ;)

Best of luck in the estate splitting and woodworking tool acquisition.

-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, other than the common stuff of having to initially readjust the knives and bed rollers, I had a problem of slop in the crank handle that required removing the top and having it ground a little. The knob that tightens the vertical adjustment has never been able to hold it; it's like a decoration. And it's minor, but the glides on the side where there is a petal to push down always moved until I put in some backup nuts. The knives that came with it didn't last very long, but that can be expected. The motor itself had a plastic part that disassembled itself (Grizzly replaced it). About all of the above, the customer service guy at Grizzly said that "we can't check all of them". Understandably, that may be true, but I don't think that they check very many at all outside of China.

All-in-all, I guess that my problems have been really minor, and I guess that I just got spoiled by having used more industrial planers. It works and I guess that is all that matters. I officially recind any disparaging remarks about Grizzly.

Reply to
woodstuff

planer mentioned

a 15" planer and

shaper, and a 14"

probably unjustified in saying anything bad. I have a friend who has a couple of their shapers and a bandsaw and he says that they do ok. So I hereby backpetal on any comments about Grizzly.

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

However, a shaper won't turn smaller bits at a high enough RPM. Certainly there is a common area for the two tools, but there is a lot at either end, as well. I'll have to investigate this further. Some day, perhaps.

I thought that this was why Festering Tools existed. ;-)

that screamed louder for my money. Some day, perhaps, they'll win one.

"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. Cutting wood is noisy.

Induction motors are certainly a win but not because of dB, rather HP. That said, an electronically controlled router will have a pretty consistent RPM, as well.

Reply to
krw

Always compensating after the fact. Just ain't da same.

Reply to
Robatoy

Agreed.

Reply to
Robatoy

Just like sex for ya'

LOL

Reply to
Josepi

I wouldn't know... but by all means, spare us the details.

Reply to
Robatoy

OMG! You have never had "sex"?

snipped-for-privacy@q22g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > Just like sex for ya'

Reply to
Josepi

I use the Rockler Router Lift FX

good results in a Bench Dog router table extension on my table saw.

It took a bit of adjustment to hold my PC 893 but has been quite stable since the initial set up. Height adjustments are fast and accurate.

Reply to
Robert Haar

Or wherever your final destination might take you.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Let a thousand flowers bloom!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

True but a shaper sounds good, a routers scream is horrendous. I always use my shaper over the router if possible. The main problem is cost of cutters, but I personally don't use all that many different cutters. Straight cutter for patterns and round over bits are most common. Cope and stick cutters are really pricey. I've always wanted to buy a set but what to buy is confusing and I don't build enough doors to go for it.

Having said that, every home wood shop needs at least one router, but not a shaper. A shaper is a luxury in a home shop.

I certainly would spend $300 on a heavy duty router with built in lift like the Triton before spending it on just a lift. If you already have a router, well, now you'd have two, a very good idea in itself.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Your comments are just as valuable as anyone else's, particularly after you elaborated a bit. I've been thinking of buying some Grizzly products myself, specifically a planer, and some shaper bits. Your comments on both are much appreciated.

Reply to
Jack Stein

As an aside about the Grizzly GO454, I found 9 (or 11, can't remember) other companies with this same planer on the net. The main "body" is the same in all, except for the colors and maybe some switching and HP. Some have

3-knife cutterheads, others 4. Some have byrd-style heads.

Going only from memory, I think there was Powermatic, Sunhill, (memory escapes me), and of course Grizzly (which has a 4-knife cutterhead). One thing I have a problem with is the design of the table where there is a recess on both sides, and no built-in guide to keep the workpiece from under the cutters. This applies mostly to wider pieces which might turn slightly (as can happen on most any planer). I cut some thin sticks to go into the little recess on each side of the table and clamped them on with C-clamps; it worked ok.

Mostly, I use the planer to thin door panels to 11/16 before going to the wide belt (which takes them to 5/8). Occasionally, I will use it for other tasks, like surfacing rough sawn lumber. It does OK for what I use it for. Still, I wish I had spent some more and gotten an industrial machine. For a hobby shop or light use, the Grizzly might be fine.

If one puts a digital depth gauge on it, it would be nice; I have to measure the pieces comming out when they start getting close.

have a good day, woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff