Router bits revisited

First, I wanted to point out about a good router guide book I forgot I had from Woodsmith which I read intently and learned much. Second, it mentioned a few high performance quality bits specifically Amana, Freud, CMT and MLCS. I know Amana and Freud are quality bits but never guessed the CMT and MLCS.Visiting my local Woodcraft retailer, who sells CMT, I always thought they were a lower quality bit equaling that of their own retail brand and never gave them a second look. After reading the Router book, I'm now more alert to the CMT's. Does anyone use these bits and how do you like them?

Reply to
SBH

---------------------- My router bit business was CMT's to lose.

Infinity in Tampa was a 2nd choice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

infinity makes good stuff shelly

p.S. good overstock sales, too

Reply to
smandel

CMT has been around a long time. Long ago, CMT America?, an American company in Florida IIRC, pretty much only sold the quality Italian CMT bits. As time went by the American CMT company began making their own router bits and also branding them as CMT.

Because of that the Italian CMT company took the American CMT to court and won the case. As a result the courts ordered the American CMT company to rename their router bits which late became known as Jesada. The name was derived from the first two letters from the owner's kids names.

Jesada made a pretty good bit however IMHO it was never quite as good as the CMT bit.

Jesada sold out and the current owner still uses the Jesada name.

One of the original Jesada kids now has a router bit company that is known as Infinity. IMHO these bits are "ok" but not up to the quality standards of the old Jesada bits and certainly not up to the quality of the current and old CMT bits. IIRC Infinity does not or did not manufacture their bits, they have their bits manufactured by an off shore company.

I have a set of rail and stile bits that are the real CMT bits and they have been working well for the last 15 years.

Reply to
Leon

They make a few bits which I use constantly. A bottom bearing flush trim bit which has a bit of a downward angle of cut (shear) and we work them pretty hard. We take a 1/2" thick x 1/8" trim off the sides of Corian in one swipe, day after day. They hold up great. Nice solid bearing. I also use their slot cutters. Well-balanced and duarble. A well-made arbor too.

Reply to
Robatoy

I bought my rail and stile bits from Lee Valley. I don't know who makes them, but they are excellent quality.

Reply to
Robatoy

These days there are few if any really bad router bits around. Most of us give them limited (non production) use so the carbide seldom gives up. One company I have bought unusual bits from seems to have a more extensive catalog than most: go to

and have a look. I like MLCS, too. If you contemplate CNC work, magnate would be a good choice.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have Freud, CMT (Italian), Infinity, Amana and Jesada router bits. They all perform reliably and I can't discern significant differences between any of them.

That said, Whiteside bits have repeatedly won the router bit comparisons in Fine Woodworking and other magazines.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

Whiteside - I'll second that!

If it's a bit you'll use for one project - then pick most any of them. If you're going to use it for a lot of projects - roundovers, chamfers, slots, dados, rabbets - forget the pretty shiny colorful coatings - and their hype. Whiteside - plain and simple - and last.

Reply to
charlie b

Leon,

Have you tried Infinity Tools router bits? What basis do you have to say that their products are not as good as others? The ones that I have are excellent quality and are as good or better than any of the other top brands I've used.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Balaso

My experience as well. That said, I don't have any of the "early" Infinity bits. I have Infinity, Freud, CMT, Bosch, some Jesada, Eagle America, a few MLCS, and a few from Sommerfeld. I don't think there's much difference between Freud and CMT. Infinity a very close 2nd. MLCS being a low cost bit good for those occasions when you don't want to invest in an expensive bit for infrequent use. Just my personal opinion.

Max

Reply to
Max