Rototool props and pans

Who has good or ill to say about rototool and its clones?
My application would be circular cutouts for speakerbuilding with no other tools to speak of. Was looking at a roto clone that includes a circle jig.
Can these small tools function as routers as some of the box info claims?
are you thinking of the Rotozip?
I've got one. IT sucks. I wouldn't buy it again. It works ok to grind down my dog's toenails. It'll cut sheetrock. As a router?? HA! The internal fan slipped out of position on mine, after little use; the quality and durability of such an expensive tool is dismal.
dave
Lon Ponschock wrote:

you don't say what material these speaker boxes are made of. My guess is that you will be better off with a jigsaw.
you can do the comparisons yourself. choose a rotozip/clone model and a router (more like laminate trimmer) model.
compare: tool weight. motor amperage. collet size. temperature rise. cord length. switch placement. Db noise levels.
anybody have anything to add?
    Bridger
snipped-for-privacy@athenet.net says...

For my use as a low-voltage contractor, I find it indispensable.

I've done this numerous times, in various materials. In general, though, I'd say if you're planning to cut anything heavier than 1/2" ply, you're better off with a router.

Yes, but only on a limited basis.

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Can't speak to the Rototool but I have the Dremel Advantage (4amp) and it now comes with the plunge router base, flexible cable extender and some bits and pieces along with a 1/4" collet. I have all those items now but had to purchase them separately. I use the Dremel for light routing even though I have 3 other routers already. Its great for light work but I never tried going thru say 3/4" of MDF with it making cutouts.
Bob S.

jig.
My thanks to those who replied.